Chadderton FC - The MCA Stadium (Andrew Street)

Believe it or not, when the fixtures list (for the NWCFL) came out at the start of the season Chadderton away was one of the games I first looked out for!..

I know what you’re thinking, why?? Well, I’m afraid I don’t 100 percent sure myself, but hey ho.

In the weeks leading up to the game I hadn’t watched the Colls play for a while so with the Chadderton game fat approaching I labelled the game as a defenate ye, and a must watch!

There was only one thing that could of prevented me from visiting the MCA Stadium (Andrew Street as it’s more commonly known) – the weather. The Saturday before hand had been a very wet one. Colls vs Daisy Hill was called off so I prayed that there wasn’t a repeat this Saturday.

Thankfully, God was answering my prayers as that week there was hardly a rain drop in sight and this meant no pitch inspection and operation Chadderton was go.

Normally, when I visit a new ground I spend most of the week leading up to the visit planning the trip and reading up on the place – the thing is, there wasn’t a lot to read. Blogs were rare and hard to come across and it would appear Chadderton only update their website once a blue moon. All this meant that I hadn’t a clue what to expect of Chadderton and the MCA Stadium, fantastic!

Planning train times wasn’t a problem (as usual). Of course, using my favourite website of all time, the National Rail Journey Planner thingy. The website informed me that Chadderton don’t actually have their own train station however, this wasn’t a problem as Mills Hill station was only a mile and a half walk away… a brief stroll compared to the monster treck to Nelson.

So, everything was planned. But the question is, will it all go to plan? On the 15th November the Christmas Markets in Manchester opened and this causes yes, Christmas joy to everyone who visits but, it also causes every single Northern Rail train to be packed every day, without fail.

Oh and how the trains were packed. Packed to the rafters. Already, I could tell as I approached Bromley Cross station it was going to be a struggle to get onto the train. Anyway, fifteen elbowed (by myself) people later and I squashed onto the already packed train and officially, the voyage to Chadderton had begun.

A quick change at the rather chaotic (understatement of the century) Manchester Victoria and I was on the Leeds train that stops off t my destination, Mills Hill.

Alighting from the train, then the station, it occurred to me that I didn’t really know what direction I was going in. It was either left or right. The ‘Welcome to Chadderton’ sign didn’t help either as it supported neither side…

After eyeing ach side up for five minutes it was decided that turning right looked like the better of the two options.

Directions from thus point wasn’t a problem, thanks to, again, you’ve guessed it, Google Maps! My map told me it was over a miles walk and it shouldn’t take that long to walk it. I’m glad I did walk it and not get a bus or a taxi as it gave me a chance to explore the beautiful (or not so) area of Chadderton.

Chadderton. Not a name that rings any bells, is it? From what I saw on my walk to the ground it looks like one of those places where absolutely nothing happens. However, it was a textile ton during the period of the Russian Revolution, well, that’s what Wikipedia told me…

Anyway, after walking past what appeared to be the Rochdale Ship Canal the ground was getting closer, according to the map I only had to turn another corner. I did. And the glorious MCA Stadium opened up in front of me. This was my shining star in the Nativity, ooh, we’re getting festive already.

After taking some pictures of the exterior of the ground and playing a game of spot the Gibbo I headed for the ‘entrance’ – a man and pint glass with a box of programmes, love it. Paying £3.00 (average price for most NWCFL games) and a further £1.50 for a programme, which has been a rare thing at Chadderton until this season… Well, that’s what Gibbo told me.

Would I recommend the programme? Definitely! It’s very well presented, and every single page is all colours and not a lot of adverts. My only complaining is that there wasn’t a lot of content to read, but it’s still well worth the buy.



The first thing I noticed as I walked into the ground was the state of the playing surface, I wondered to myself: how can a pitch get into this condition? A conversation with the Colls Crazy Gang would reveal all…

I am told this might not be 100 percent accurate, that Oldham Council doesn’t allow Chadderton to lock the gates- for some obscure reason, and so kids come on a play football on it. Also, there was a hell of a lot of dead leaves on the pitch from the trees along the side-line witch didn’t help play.

As for the MCA Stadium, well the word basic springs to mind. There is only one seated/sheltered area of the ground which is on your right as you enter the ground and this runs the length of the pitch. It wasn’t a bad little stand for this level. A few holes in the roof mind, but what do you expect?

Opposite from the entrance is a grass embankment. This offered some good views of the pitch, however on a day like that day you’ll find an Ice Cold wind blowing directly in your direction.

The rest of the ground is made up of hard standing.

The Clubhouse is directly next to you as you enter the ground. Instantly, I noticed a distinct similarity to Abbey Hey’s clubhouse, players facilities bellow clubhouse on top. However, unlike Abbey Hey, Chadderton just leave you to guess how to get up into the clubhouse. Luckily, I was guided by the trusty Mr Gibbons.

Instantly, I smelt the clubhouse as we began our venture up the stairs. Smells sounds and looks like a library too. Hatrick for Chadderton. No, on a serious note there clubhouse is in need of a refurbishment but, clubs like Chadderton simply can’t find the money. No doubt, they have limited income, and profits made are surely soon spent.

First half, I went and stood with the Colls Crazy Gang in the Main Stand.

It only took four minutes for the Colls to take the lead. Josh Peet swinging a perfect free kick into the Chadderton area, perfectly landing onto the head of Kieran Halliwell whom headed home for his first league goal of the season.

Another four minutes later and Chadderton were level. Goal scorer Halliwell passed the ball back to keeper Joe Brobbin, the poor Chadderton surface caused the ball to bobble up just as Brobbin was ready to kick, when he did eventually hit the bobbling ball Chadderton striker Clive
Best dived in front of the shot sending the ball into the opposite direction, the back of the net.

Twelve minutes in, pinball in the Chadderton area nearly took Colls into the lead. The original corner, whipped in by Gareth Peet was headed towards goal by Chris Lawton, however, his header was cleared off the line and back into the air, Halliwell attempted to double his tally but his header was headed up onto the bar by one of Chadderton’s defenders who then volleyed the ball away.

On the half hour mark Chadderton had a chance that could have took them into the lead. The ball came from nowhere as it was played through the Colls back four; forward Best was the first to the ball. Best tried to curl the ball round Brobbin but he saved well.

Seven minutes later Colls should of took back the lead, Gareth Peet taps in after a Josh Peet cross, however, the assistant referee ruled that Peet was offside not on.

One minute of time remaining in the first half and a red card as shown to Colls right back Aaron Cringle. An unfortunate decision from the referee.

At half time, I ventured into the clubhouse to defrost only to find out that Rugby Union was on the T.V, so I turned around a bought myself a hot dog. The old man in the refreshments hut tried his hardest bless him, he really did, but the hot dog was poor, tiny but for only a £1.00 it’s hard not to complain.

Second half, me and Gibbo put on our brave faces and stood on the embankment behind the goal.

Second half and both sides found it hard to play in windy conditions on a poor pitch, the football was bouncing like a rugby ball, not one player could judge which direction the ball was going.

On the sixty fifth minute Chadderton striker Matty Russell had the best opportunity of the half, for them. His shot flying well wide of the goal.

Eight minutes from time, Colls substitute Jake Patton collects the ball on the corner of the box; his angled shot was well saved by goalkeeper Dale Latham who was having a fine game.

From the resulting corner, a training ground routine ended with a penalty being awarded to the Colls, a clear foul on Gareth Peet. Peet brushed himself down to step up and take the penalty himself. Peet scored, sending Latham the opposite way.

It was a poor performance by both teams, on a difficult surface. Colls were lucky to come away with the three points that keep their promotion bid alive. But, three points is three points… Onwards and upwards!

A quick look at my train times and it was clear I had to set off soon or risk missing my train. I said my goodbyes to fellow Colls fans.

On the way back to Mills Hill I stopped off at the world’s biggest ASDA and bought myself some cookie for the train journey home. Double Chocolate. Of course. It was the same sort of journey, Mills Hill to the even more chaotic Victoria, then to Bromley Cross.

Overall, I had a good day, however it was extremely cold! I would recommend visiting Chadderton if you’re stuck for a place to go to but I wouldn’t say go there every weekend that’s for sure.


Ground: - 3/10 If gates were locked and no vandalism, the MCA Stadium wouldn’t be a bad ground.
Programme: - 8/10 (Quality for money) – Superb! Could do with more content.
Food: - 4/10 (Chocolate Bar)  Didn’t look or taste very appetizing
Match: - 7/10  Good win for Colls.































No comments

Powered by Blogger.