Atherton Laburnum Rovers - Crilly Park

Boxing Day. One of my favourite days of the year along with Christmas Day and 14th July (my birthday). For me, Boxing Day isn’t getting up at the crack of dawn and dragging myself into a car to go to some packed Next sale. It’s about getting up when I want, then dragging myself into a car and going to some random Non-League football match. Only a slight difference, but an important one nonetheless.

This year’s Boxing Day trip would see me visit our (Colls) arch rivals ground Crilly Park for ‘The Flatcap Derby’ and what a game it promised to be!

Normally, in the days leading up to my weekend choice of game I would plan my trip out, you know, train times and how much this and that is. However, first of all this is Boxing Day so this year the game is to be played on a Thursday (2013) instead of the Saturday. Also, with it being Boxing Day no trains are running and the bus service is extremely limited.

So, what could I do?

I had two options. The first being, nag my Granddad to give me a lift and watch the game then give me a lift back, which was instantly rejected when I asked him, he came back to me with “No, I’ll give it a miss, I’ll go and watch the second half of Radcliffe Borough vs Burscough, I can get on free”. Fair enough! So, my second and final option, nag my Mum to give me a lift there and back. Which at first, she rejected which was accepted. Finally, days of nagging later, she gave in and finally agreed to take me. Hallelujah!

It was official; Boxing Day would see me visit Crilly Park for the first time.

The day started like any other day for me. Waking up, breakfast, lounging around for a bit then having a bath. Nothing too special or remotely interesting.

I said to my Mum late Christmas Day for us to set off at about 13:30 to get to the ground for about 14:00 – an hour before kick-off. She agreed and everything was planned.

The plan, much to my surprise, did work. There we were setting off from my house on time, a record for my Mother.

Avoiding town because of the Boxing Day sales we arrived at Crilly Park dot on 14:00. Wonderful. As I stepped out of my car I heard my Mum exclaim “Zach! Look! This one has got a stand!” and then off she drove laughing to herself (no doubt all the way back to Bromley Cross).

My first impressions of Crilly Park on the outside were yes, agreeing with my Mother, a rather impressive looking stand – for this standard of football. However, the perimeter around the ground gave it a sort of prison feel.

After taking a few photos of the outside of the ground I headed for the small (understatement) turnstiles. £3.00 (BARGIN ALERT) for me to get into today’s Flatcap Derby game and £1.00 for a decent programme. The programme is not pretty on the eye and carries a very ‘Black and White’ theme however the content of the programme was superb player interviews, up to date match reports and my favourite page being one where they told a “Story so far” of every club in the division. Impressive.

As for Crilly Park well, it’s a funny ground. Like all Non-League grounds it had some nice iconic areas and then some messy evidently run down areas.

Walking through the turnstiles and you’re in the area of the ‘Main Stand’. This is an impressive metal structure which can hold up to 200 spectators, instead of seats in the stand they have bench like seating, no doubt the cheaper option when the stand was constructed, but just as comfy.

Opposite you is what I am going to name ‘The Shed’ because it is a shed like structure. This side reminds me of a smaller version of Altrincham’s ‘Popular Terrace’. The Shed is split up into three sections, two smaller ones on each side and the larger one being in the middle. The larger quadrant (I love that word) of the Shed offers a miniature terrace like experience.

To the left of the Main Stand is another shed like structure which is almost in the corner of the ground. It stands well back from the pitch and is home to a big lawn mower. There we go, a Half Time Whistle Fun Fact for you all.

To the Main Stand’s right is just a plain hard standing, un sheltered area.

In the bottom corner of the ground you’ll find all the clubs facilities: changing rooms, refreshments hut and club house.

So, who are Atherton LR? Well, originally they were founded as an Under 14’s side in 1956 by a gent called Joe Riley. After progressing to the Bolton Combination and improving their ground massively Joe Riley handed the reins of Chairman over to Jack Crilly who continued to help the club make massive strides. Jack suddenly died in 1980 and as a tribute they named there (current) ground after him – Crilly Park. Current Stockport County boss Alan Lord was appointed in the early 00’s after the club got relegated to the NWCL Division two, Lord helped the club win back promotion to Division One at the first attempt. Since then, not a lot, current manager Mick Clegg is in a rebuilding process with the team.

I had a good hour before kick-off and after doing the usual ‘ground hoppers lap of honour’ (a lap around the ground) I was already bored. So, I headed into the Clubhouse. As soon as I walked through I felt as if I was in the 70’s, the only thing that was missing was the smoke lingering at the top of the room with the lights.

Anyway, moving back onto topic. I met up with Gibbo and Emil who were both sat watching the Hull vs Manchester United game, I joined them and watched Steve Bruce’s side loose undeservedly to David Moyes’s red devils. It was then Gibbo said “Let’s go and put the flags up.”.

After much brainstorming we decided to tie the flags on the side of the ground that’s on your right from the Main Stand (if that makes sense), one black and white Cornish style flag which had the letters ACFC printed on and the same with an England flag. Impressive stuff.

With about fifteen minutes to go before the big kick off I noticed that firstly, a healthy looking crowd was starting to gather and secondly, I was hungry. Away to the refreshments hut I went. I had the choice between a pie or some chips; I wasn’t in a pie mood so I opted for the chips (£1.00). They we’re alright. I wouldn’t call them good.

It was whilst eating my ‘alright’ chips I bumped into local non-league loving football fan (quite a title) Tony. I met Tony the Saturday before at Colls vs Rochdale Town and we started talking about all things Colls, L.R and Radcliffe. We had a conversation building up to the game about how good this game promised to be and I asked about his Christmas and general chit chat really.

For the first half I went over and stood with the Colls Crazy Gang in ‘the Shed’ with Tony staying put (standing just below the Main Stand) insisting he was a neutral.

Leading up to the game L.R were in better form than Colls – Colls losing three on the bounce before-hand and L.R winning the previous two games scoring four in each. An interesting game indeed!

The game started. An ‘El Classico’ like atmosphere was ringing around the stadium.

Two minutes in and instantly the referee made a show of himself awarding a penalty to LR for what was clearly not a penalty. Anyway, Lr’s Mark Ayres stepped up and sent keeper Matthew Ince the wrong way.

On the half hour mark Colls were level. GET IN! Mark Truffas, who has been a superb asset since joining the club from Eagley scored a luck and scrappy goal. But hey they all count!

Half time came and to the club house I went. Mainly for warmth, through the first period I had noticed my hands were turning blue. Blue being the coulor of LR it was unacceptable. Strangly, they didn’t have Sky Sports News on the T.V to show the half time scores, instead they had live football from Scotland that not one person in the club house cared about. Strange indeed!

Anyway, the second half.

It was important Colls added to their tall, working hard to draw level, the next goal was vital.

Sadly, instead of talking about the game again I have to talk about the referee. After a string unacceptable decisions the referee gave a red card to Colls player Mark Truffas for an apparent “push on the liner”. I better say no more before I ‘overstep the mark’ but let’s just say the whole ground was stunned at the referees decision.

However, let me just make this one point. There are too many card happy referees in this division giving yellow cards for things that don’t warrant a card or sometimes even a talking to. Also, referees are inconsistent. One referee will give a yellow card for a tackle and for that same tackle a different ref would give you a red, I probably haven’t described it that well but I’m sure NWCFL fans alike would agree.

Anyway, LR obviously, had the advantage and went on to win the game thanks to two goals from  Jordan Cover, the last being an impressive shot from the half way line.

After the game it was a case of calming down. The Club house it was.

I went out for a meal after the game, transport was provided by my Mother and I thoroughly enjoyed my Persian food experience.

I’d recommend visiting Crilly Park, it’s a nice little set up and I certainly felt welcome, despite being a Colls fan.

Anyway, on wards and upwards. I shall see you soon Blog buds.

Ground: - 6/10 – Nice little set up. Could do with a lick of paint here and there.
Programme: - 5/10 (Quality for money) – Content was great! Colour is needed!
Food: - 4/10 (Chips)  Did the job.
Match: - 1/10  Spoiled by a certain man in black.






































2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the report and the pictures Zach, one of the few NWCL grounds I've not done yet. Not sure if I like that garden fence around the side of the pitch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I agree, the garden like fence wasn't pretty on the eye. Also, hard to lean on, not a big thing but an important one! ;)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.