Mossley A.F.C - Seel Park

“Oh the weather outside is frightful…” that’s how the Frank Sinatra classic ‘Let it Snow’ goes. However, it wasn’t the snow that was causing havoc throughout the non-league world it was its arch enemy, THE RAIN (cue dramatic drums).

This time last week I was planning what game I was going to go to watch on the Saturday. For me, it was a no brainer: Atherton Collieries vs AFC Darwen. In the week leading up to the game I was really looking forward to it; I expected fireworks, good football and lots of goals. It would’ve been a good game… The key word being would’ve.

Colls first team coach ‘Jasper’ messaged me of Facebook the Friday night before to tell me that the likely outcome of the early pitch inspection would be… GAME OFF. Obviously, thanks to the rain. It was at that moment that I realised, I had no back up plans.

Would this be my first football free Saturday of the season????

Thankfully no, I spent the few hours left of Friday looking for games to go to if Jasper’s prediction was correct (which I had no doubt it would be). Instead of just going to my usual back up plan ground, Stockport Sports Village and their trust worthy 3G pitch, I decided it was time to tick off my first ground on my brand new ‘Grounds to go to’ list. Also, it was about time I did another ground hop.

Now, the dilemma that I faced was which ground? Whilst drawing up my Plan A/B/C I didn’t even consider Mossley. Despite it being on my list I had been before, but only as a young lad, I put it on to redo. So my backup plan list went as follows:

Plan A – Colls vs AFC Darwen (Just in case)
Plan B – Cheadle Town vs Formby
Plan C – Daisy Hill vs Nelson

You might of guessed, thanks to the title of this Blog, I went to neither and it was only in the morning after my bath and after the tweet from Emil came through confirming Jasper’s prediction that I decided, Mossley would be the best option after all.

What a cracking decision that turned out to be!

I had just put two of ASDA’s finest Steak Pies in my oven when I realised I’ve only got half an hour to check where exactly I need to change to get to Mossley, get all my stuff together, charge my camera up and wolf down these two Steak Pies (and before you ask, yes, I do have a big appetite). Luckily, I just managed to do all of the jobs. However, I did have to speed walk to Bromley Cross train station.

Ah, Bromley Cross train station, I always say this, my second home. The scary thing is, is that it is genuinely my second home.

I walked into the ticket office joining the queue for, well tickets. My turn, no doubt the man at the desk was wondering what obscure location I would be dragging myself to this week.

Anyway, it cost me just £2.10 for a return to Mossley, not bad. Getting on my first train and much to my surprise I had my own seat. YES, my own seat on a Northern Rail train.

After a fifty minute wait at Victoria I jumped onto my second train (which was going to Huddersfield) which would take me to Saturday’s destination – Mossley.

So, Mossley? Where is it? What’s its history? Despite seeming to be in the middle of nowhere
Mossley is actually only around three miles from Ashton-under-Lyne and a further nine miles from Manchester. It’s surrounded by the beautiful foothills of the Pennines; the whole town reminds me of a Christmas card.

I stepped off the Northern Rail special and instantly inhaled the beautiful Mossley fresh air, love it! In my mad rush earlier in the day I printed of my usual Google map route planner thing and this directed me straight to the door of Mossley A.F.C.

Boy, did I have some hills to climb. It was only after the game I realised Google had been kind to me and sent me the longer but less hilly way, if that makes sense? Either way, it still involved walking up a massive hill. I’m not going to bother describing it but all I’m going to say is this, I wouldn’t like to live in Mossley when it snows.
 
Completing my climb up Mount Everest and I was at the beautiful doorstep of Seel Park, and when I mean beautiful I mean it! You’ll have to look at my photos as I can’t quite put it into my own words. I arrived at about five minutes past two, perfect timing. Saturday’s game was free for under 16’s which is an amazing effort by Mossley, obviously trying to get the younger generations into nonleague football; I walked through the historic gates of Seel Park and picked up a programme along the way for £2.00. The programme was superb, a good size, with lots of reading and full colour, sure £2.00 is a bit steep in this division but it’s certainly worth it! One of the better publications in that division.

As for Mossley A.F.C well, what a history they’ve had. Founded in 1903 under the name Park Villa they moved to their current ground, Seel Park in 1912 after changing their name to Mossley A.F.C in 1909. In 1980 Mossley found themselves going to Wembley for the F.A.Challenge Trophy final against Dagenham F.C – the lilywhites travelled down to the capital only to lose 2-1 in front of a crowd of 26,000. Mossley’s most recent cup success was winning the Manchester FA Premier Cup against Salford City last season, the lilywhites finished the last campaign in the playoffs but lost to Cammel Laird in the semi-final.

It’s only when you’re in the ground you can appreciate what a fantastic location it is in.

As for Seel Park, well it’s fantastic! Easily one of the best football grounds I have visited during my travels.

As you walk through the turnstiles you’re standing on the side of the main stand. The Main Stand compromised of 200 seats and didn’t really offer the best views of the pitch, simply because of the supporting pillars obstructing the view. Either side of the stand is your bog standard terracing with the terracing to your right offering supporting barriers to lean on.

To your right is a nice looking stand (one of my favourite in non-league) called the Park End which is all standing terracing with supporting barriers to lean on, again this stand offered some good views of the pitch.

Opposite the Main Stand was a simple covered terrace that ran the length of the pitch, this is where the Mossley old boys stood and blasted out a few Mossley chants.

Finally, to the left of the Main Stand is the School End. This end, like most of the ground, offered some more good and lofted views because the terracing is only a couple of meters away from the pitch, uncovered, and un level but a superb part of the ground nonetheless.

I met up with fellow ground hopper and Colls fan Sean who decided to queue up for some food. Whilst Sean did that I went to investigate why the ‘Supporters Club Shop’ wasn’t open as I was looking forward to rummaging round the programmes pile. Anyway, asking the women in the refreshments hut she soon got it open for me to rummage around. I would like to thanks Mossley for doing this for me.

In the end I bought, a pen and three old programmes, one being the F.A Challenge Trophy final programme from 1980.

After leaving the shop, I went and joined Sean on the terracing just right of the Main Stand as the two teams were coming out.

It was an important game for both teams, they both needed three points. Mossley needed the points to kick start their season after nine games without a win. Radcliffe needed them to climb away from the relegation places as they are getting mighty close to them.

Against the run of play, Radcliffe found themselves in front on the sixth minute, on loan Fleetwood Town player Aden Wainwright scored a superb goal from twenty yards out, one to tell the grand children about.

However, Radcliffe’s lead only lasted two minutes. Mossley striker Wayne Welbeck scoring easily from eight yards after the ball was drifted into the box.

Sean and I were pleased with the amount of goals that were scored in such short time, eight minutes and two goals had been scored.

At this moment Mossley were bossing the game. After making a number of new signings Mossley looked by far the better side and showed it up until half time.

During the second half I walked back over to the area of the Main Stand to find Sean to discuss the half’s proceedings. During the game I tend to move around the ground for two reasons, different vantage points and too stay warm.

By the time I had met up with Sean again the teams were coming out for the second half.

Mossley were just as good in the second half of the game as the first. Playing really slick and stylish football on what can be classed as a difficult surface.

It was Mossley’s trickery that caused big problems for the Radcliffe defence and on fifty three minutes the lilywhites were awarded a penalty. Lewis Nightingale taking the responsibility from the spot, his effort was well saved by Borough keeper Chris Cheetham.

Mossley’s trickery continued with shot after shot after shot as Borough didn’t know how to handle this Mossley side.

It was a moment of ‘Mossley magic’ on seventy eight minutes that broke the deadlock. A Mossley corner was delivered to Dean Warburton some thirty yards from goal, his ambitious shot few into the top right hand corner of the goal, a sublime effort. I and Sean were impressed.

The nest goal would again go for Mossley. Another penalty, substitute Dougie Carroll took responsibility from the spot this time and he scored.

It was straight after this penalty me and Sean had to literally peg it to the Station to catch the five to five train from Huddersfield to Manchester Victoria. Luckily, we were running down the hill, not up so it wasn’t a problem. We arrived at Mossley and boarded the train.

It was on the train me and Sean discussed the game we had just witnessed. Radcliffe were well and truly outplayed and f they play anything like that for the remaining games of the season they will be relegated, without a shadow of a doubt. Whereas Mossley, I think that could be the result that kick starts their season, well, I hope it does anyway as I found them to be a lovely and friendly club.

Sean jumped off the train at the station before Victoria, Ashton. When arriving at Victoria I had the displeasure of reminding myself that I had another fifty minute wait for the train to Bromley Cross. Thankfully though, as I checked the departure boards my attention was grabbed by a sign reading Blackburn – which would depart in five minutes. Perfect. I jumped onto that train and off I went.

Arriving in Bromley Cross at six(ish) and I was home. What a good day out.

I would STRONGLY recommend visiting Seel Park. Not only is it perfectly situated scenic views wise it is a proper ‘old school’ stadium. Also, the volunteers/staff at Mossley are extremely friendly and welcoming! I truly can’t wait for my next visit!

See you soon Blog buds!

Ground: - 10/10 – Superb! Loved it! Can’t wait to visit again.
Programme: - 8/10 (Quality for money) – Content was good, colour was super!
Food: - Didn’t buy any.


Match: - 7/10  Good game, got a bit repetitive in the second half.



































6 comments:

  1. Nice blog as ever. I too enjoyed it very much, went to a great pub called the Rising Sun. Shop was closed on my visit there too, surely an own goal. In the end I bought a pennant and a pen via mail order

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Russ! Glad you enjoyed the Blog!

      Mossley is now near the top of my Favorite Grounds.

      Delete
  2. thankyou for your great comment`s , really pleased you enjoyed your trip to Mossley . i too have to walk up the hill but it keep`s me fit :)
    Col Bond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine it does ;-)

      I will be visiting Mossley again, loved the place.

      Delete
  3. Excellent Blog , Mossley is where i was born and bred. I now live in Canada i miss the little club so much.Well written Zach, looking forward to more posts. Exceelent stuff

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.