Bury FC - Gigg Lane


Bury Football Club, a club based in the North West of England and steeped in history.

Under Kevin Blackwell Bury have had it hard this season, low crowds, a transfer embargo and poor performances both on and off the pitch and as a result of this the Shakers find themselves in second to bottom place.

Whereas Crewe Alexandra have took League 1 by surprise. They have received superb support from the Alex faithful both home and away and manager Steve Davis (ex Burnley) has guided Alex to a safe and respectable 13th position.

Joining me on my trip to Gigg Lane is my two mates Tom Gornall, who is featured in my trip to AFC Darwen and making his debut for The Half Time Whistle we have Jack Walton who, may I add, is a Bury supporter and currently plays for Bolton Wanderers academy. I am sure you will hear his name on the Tannoy sooner or later.

Gigg Lane is a simple place to travel to, me, Tom and Jack opted to travel by Bus. This meant getting our head round the very poorly put together Good Friday bus timetable, joy!

I caught the number 1 Lancashire United service from Dunscar War Memorial to Bolton which cost me £1.10. And after meeting Tom and Jack in town before buying a few snacks from my beloved Pound Bakery and Home Bargains to buy a few snacks and drinks and of course, my diner, we caught the 524 from Bolton to Gigg Lane (Bury). With me being the Super Scrimper that I am I bought a First Day Saver for £2.00 which allows you to go on any First Bus, which saved me around £1.50!

On the way to Gigg Lane me, Tom and Jack had a good catch up and disguised the strange goings on at Gigg Lane in recent weeks, sending your nest player out on loan, Kevin Blackwell resigning, which of course he didn’t!

I was looking forward to this game for many reasons. One being I have not watched Bury play in a while and with them being my "second" team I thought it was about time went again. And, of course, Bury are in trouble they needed both my vocal and financial support.

We arrived at Gigg Lane pretty early, an hour before kick-off. I picked up a very well presented and put together programme for £3.00 and as I read through it now, it is an all coulor document, but it is covered in adverts, it’s not the best I have seen but certainly not the worst!

You had the option of paying on the gate for this game but with me being the football geek that I am I went and bought a match ticket for the East Stand for £10.00 for a bit of memorabilia.

We went through the historic turnstile and as we turned to our right Gigg Lane opened up in front of us. As there was still about 50 minutes till kick off the ground was still pretty empty I decided to go and take some photos whilst I had the opportunity. Once I have done so, I go back to Jack and Tom only for Jack to be casually chatting away to one of my favourite goal keepers Cameron Belford.

Gigg Lane is an all seated stadium and has been home to bury since the clubs formation in 1885, it is currently tempory home of the famous rebel team FC United.

I was sat in The East Stand which was converted from standing to seating in 1999, this is the stand that offers the best view of the pitch as this is the only stand in Gigg Lane without supportive pillars.

Directly in front of me was The Manchester Road End, this was where the Alex faithful were placed. To be honest, I don’t know a lot about this stand, all I do know is don't sit on the front row as you will find a concrete trench between you and the slightly higher up pitch.

To the right was The Main Stand, this gives spectators a lifted view of the pitch in front of them. However, the stand has supportive pillars all along the bottom of it so view can be restricted.

And final, to the left was The Les Hart Stand which is single tired and can offer some good views of the pitch, again some restricted views due to the supporting pillars.

The stewards at Gigg Lane seemed nice enough, it's not a derby game and there's no history between the fans so they had a pretty relaxed job, for today!

 As for the game itself, well Bury need every point they can get and Alex just wanted to gloss up what has already seen them to the JPT Final at Wembley.

The Shakers started the brighter of the two sides and on the 7th minute they saw their first shot on goal, David Worall played the ball through to Nicky Ajose (who has the best chant ever!) after being picked out by Steven Schumacher but Ajose's shot was held by Alex keeper Steve Philips.

Crewe took the lead against a run of play on around 29 minutes, Kelvin Mellor crossed the ball short to Max Clayton and it was him who poked home for the Alex.

Up until the Crewe goal the atmosphere was decent but after it went drop dead silent, the drummer stopped playing, the crowd stop singing, okay, Bury are second to bottom in the league, but come on get behind your team!

HALF TIME

In the second half the game livened up a bit and with the Shakers attacking the home end you could feel a goal coming on fast.

And on 59 minutes the Shakers were back on level terms, Tom Soares got the all-important touch in a very scrappy goal mouth scramble.

But sadly, Crewe again took the lead with only 7 minutes remaining, Alex sub Bradden Inman fired the ball past Belford, despite his very best efforts.

Chance after chance for the Shakers come and then went and it looked like a second defeat in a row was on the cards. But wait, Steven Schumacher was brought down in the box in the very last second and shouts of "PENALTY" came from the Bury faithful, around the ground, the ref blew his whistle and pointed from the spot, Andy Bishop steps up .  .  . SCORED! Sends the keeper the wrong way.

FULL TIME att 2,749

Our journey home was simple, get the 524 back to Bolton, although, stupidly, we stood at the wrong bus stop, anyway a quick sprint across the road and we were on the bus and back in Bolton in no time.

I got the 538 back to Bromley Cross whereas Jack and Tom opted to walk, pfffft, strange I know!

Whilst I was on my own I reflected on day I just had.  Another enjoyable trip to Gigg Lane. Entertaining football. A good catch up with Tom and Jack.

Bury played some really good football and I think they deserve red the three points more than Crewe did, whom I wish the best of luck in the JPT Final!

Weather Bury are in league 1 or league 2 next season I will be definitely try and pencil in a few Home and maybe a few Away games.

Overall, superb day out!































No comments

Powered by Blogger.