Rochdale Town - Mayfield Sports Center

Firstly, I would like to start this blog by apologising for the lack of posts recently; I have had quite a few exams, and have been on holiday so I haven’t really had much time for football.

Anyway, on with the blog …

Saturday, football day to me and you! My choice of football viewing for this week, Rochdale Town vs Atherton Collieries.

In recent weeks The Colls have started to grow on me, and whenever I get the opportunity I like to go and offer my support Home or Away. So, a quick check of the fixtures earlier in the week and it was decided Rochdale Town it is.

It was a vital game for The Colls; three points were needed to keep up the #collspromotionpush!

Joining me on my trip to the Mayfeild Sports Centre was my friend Lizzie, she has watched Middlesbrough a fair few times, and she fancied a change! Who can blame her?

The journey to Rochdale was supposed to be fairly simple, the key work being supposed! I would get the train from Bromley Cross to Manchester Victoria, with Lizzie getting on at Bolton and then after a ten minute wait get the train from Victoria to Castleton and the ground about a ten minute walk away.

However, Lizzie got delayed on her way to Bolton which meant to avoid causing confusing I had to get off at Bolton to get a later train to Victoria and then to get a later train to Castleton.

Eventually, we arrived at Victoria and with plenty of time to spare we went for a quick pit stop in the station café.

We arrived in Castleton at about 14:45, with not long till kick off we had to follow the Google maps route whilst fast (very) walking. However, since Google made this route they have since started developing on the field we were supposed to walk across.

Not to worry, a quick think and jog we arrived at the ground just, luckily, one minute after kick off.

Lizzie and I approached the turnstile for the ground (which was a woman with a change box) and I payed my £3.00 and asked:
“Can I have a programme?” And the women replied like she never heard of one!

“Programme? Programme? Nope none printed!”

First disappointment of the day!

Anyways, me and Lizzie rushed to find Emil and the Colls Crazy Gang and went to stand with them for the 90 minutes.

I was looking forward to this game because, well, it’s another Non-League ground ticked off, and the fact that I was watching The Colls, what more could I ask for? (Colls vs Burnley maybe)

If I was to describe Mayfield Sports Centre in three words I’d say, simplistic, nice and strange. It was a beautiful day, all stands were busking in sunlight and the scenery around the stadium was beautiful, hills for miles and miles. With the stands having no names here are my attempts at naming them:

I stood with the Colls Crazy Gang in what I am going to call The Concrete End (Imaginative I know!) as this is a simple 3 rows deep of uncovered standing space with the only barrier being the Pitch Perimeter.

To the left of me is what I am going to call the Shed End, simply because it’s a shed with seating in that covers the middle half of the pitch. Behind this stand is the most beautiful scene in Non-League football surely (in competition with Mosley), also you will find a Rugby League pitch. This end was pretty much deserted as there was lottery no one opting to sit there.

In front of me was nice, but again simple stand. It’s like a covered path no rows deep which curved round to meet The Main Stand; again the only barrier being the Pitch Perimeter, this is where I stood for the second half.

To the right was The Main Stand. It was a strange, triple tired (I think you can call it that) stand. You had the option to sit on the lower part, then you had the option to stand above Non-League’s largest dugouts, then the hospitality box was on top of the bottom part of the Main Stand.

Rochdale Town are a new team really after rebranding in 2008 from Castleton Gabriels to Rochdale Town to try and attract support and sponsors from the wider Rochdale area, rather than just Castleton.

Anyway, as for the game itself, like I said earlier, a very important one for The Colls!

The Colls started slowly if I am honest. In fact, bother teams really could not get a grip of the game.

The only clear cut chance I can rember was when Colls Simon Howard mistimed a header that was easily save by the Town keeper.

HALF TIME

At half time I went in search for a Pie, my search didn’t take very long, easily found in the bar, I bought Pie and Gravy, for about £1.75, great value!

The pie was superb, well recommended, the gravy wasn’t bad either.

As for the second half, following some heroics from Town keeper Boddin to keep the score goal less, Colls finally opened the scoring on 55 minutes.
 
Steve Rothwell finished off a well worked set piece by smashing the ball home from ten yards, the Colls management team and Crazy Gang went mental.

Colls doubled their lead twenty minutes later, Jonah O’Reilly whipped a free kick into the box for Simon Howard to head in on the far post, and The Crazy Gang went even more mental!

So, a superb game for the Colls, two cracking goals, from two centres backs.

Getting home was a lot smoother; thankfully, we only had to get the one train from Castleton.

On reflection, overall The Colls were the better of the two sides through the game and they are good value for the win. The most important thing though was that The Colls have kept up there #collspromotionpush!

I am writing and uploading this Blog before The Colls match on Monday, which could seem them gain promotion to the NWCFL Premier Division, COME ON COLLS!


Non League's biggest dugouts!


The Main Stand


The Shed End


Me inside the Stadium




Match Action


Match Action


Match Action

The Colls subs enjoying the sun!

Match Action

Half Time pie

Match Action

Match Action

Match Action

Match Action 
Match Action



1 comment:

Powered by Blogger.