Glossop North End - Surrey Street

This season has been my best season groundhopping wise, ticking off a total number of ten grounds, so far. Glossop North End has been a club that I have been meaning to visit for a number of months now, mainly thanks to my mate Sean who is also a fellow groundhopper. Sean has always mentioned how nice Glossop is and how good the pies are, along with how good the programme was – all important and essential things for any groundhopper.

So, when looking for games to go to, on a budget, on the upcoming Saturday (25th January) Glossop appeared on my list of possibilities. And what a lengthy list I had.

It was a normal week back at School. No Mock Exams to worry about which meant I had lots of time to look and properly plan my Saturday outings.

The weather during the whole of the week leading up to the game was terrible. Rain, rain, rain. For once, unfortunately, the forecast was right; there was a hell of a lot of rain. I and Rob (who was going to join me wherever we went on the Saturday) drew up a lengthy list of just in cases. Here’s how the list ran:

  • Nelson vs Atherton Colls – A top of the table clash, a game I was really looking forward too. I was bitterly disappointed when the game was inevitably called off.
  • Daisy Hill vs Cheadle Town – New Sirs is a ground I have strangely, been wanting to go to for a while. It seemed like a game for the neutral but I was expecting the game to be called off and when it was I wasn’t too bothered.
  • FC United vs Nantwitch Town – I have been to Gigg Lane before but only when Bury played and I have heard a game down at FC is different and unique from other football matches, something I was looking to try. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to this weekend. The game was called off.
  • Glossop North End vs Squires Gate – As I mentioned earlier I had heard really good things about Glossop so I have been meaning to go for a while now. Also, I had not had a good pie in ages. Thanks to the hard work of some volunteers this game was on.
  • Ashton Athletic vs Bacup and Rossendale Borough – Their ground is on my to do list but I wasn’t keen on going to this game, maybe some other time though. Surprisingly, this game was on.


 So as you read above, our top three games had been called off, so it was down to our forth option Glossop North End to provide myself, Rob and Sean entertainment for the Saturday. Despite Glossop North End being our forth option out of five I was very happy with finally being able to visit Surrey Street and I was sure I would really enjoy my trip there.

I awoke on Saturday at around 8:00am, a welcomed lye in, normally waking up at 6:00am during the weekdays. I had some breakfast and jumped in the bath and waited for the Ten O’clock pitch inspections to shoot down many Non-League fixtures across the country.

So with the Ten O’clock pitch inspections confirming Nelson vs Colls, Daisy Hill vs Cheadle Town and FC United vs Nantwitch Town as postponed I had planning to do in order for the Glossop trip to be a good one. I had to plan my trains, where I was going after the station etc.

I was staying over at my Grandma’s house at this time, I’m not denying that I love going to her house but what I am saying is that with her living in the middle of the countryside the internet is agonisingly slow! What should have been a quick two minute job turned out to be a dragged out fifteen minute job.

H’anyway, when I eventually printed out train times along with my directions my Granddad dropped me off at my house in Bromley Cross at about 11:00am. There I went on to pack my bag for the day. You know what I mean the essential groundhopping material, a pad, my camera and Inferno by Dan Brown – which is an absolutely classic book. Well recommended.

Off I went, departing my house at 12:00 heading in the direction for yes; you’ve guessed it Bromley Cross train station in order for my journey to Glossop to begin.

Glossop is located literally in the middle of some hills, surrounded by greenery. To put it simply, in the middle of nowhere. So you would expect it to be difficult to get there via public transport, but in fact, it’s quite the opposite, a direct train is available from Manchester Piccadilly.

Arriving at Bromley Cross station at 12:15 I headed straight to the ticket office to buy my tickets, along with being scrutinized about my age… again!! Tickets bought and it was time to board the packed, of course, 12:23 Northern Rail service to Manchester Victoria.

Normally on my football travels I alight at Salford Crescent or Manchester Victoria but today was different, alighting at Bolton along with plenty of Bolton’s diehard fans who were off, for some strange reason, to their FA Cup tie against Cardiff at the Reebok.

My next train was running a few minutes late, but when it did arrive I boarded the First express train to Manchester Airport, having a whole carriage to myself, quite the opposite to Northern Rail.

After reading a few chapters of Inferno a journey that normally seems to take forever took what seemed to be only five minutes long and I alighted at my second stop of the day, the rather chaotic Manchester Piccadilly.

Yet another scrutiny of my age soon followed this time by the Ticket Inspectors at Piccadilly. When they finally accepted my age after showing a photocopy of my Birth Certificate (new passport is being ordered) I was able to meet Rob on Platform Three who was already aboard the final train for the time being that took us to Glossop.

Similar to the train I took to Conference North side Stockport County earlier in the season in that they were both electric the ride to Glossop was smooth and easy. Rob noticed a few Tamworth fans that were on their way to Ewen Fields surely expecting to come away with three points, considering Hyde’s form throughout the season.

The journey to Glossop got a bit scary when the heavens opened and the deadly (well, to football) rain began to rapidly poor onto the train. Rob made the suggestion that the game could possibly be postponed before we get there. Thankfully, a tweet from Glossop’s Twitter account confirmed the game was most certainly on, thanks to a bunch of volunteers.

When the train was pulling into Glossop I asked myself how the game was actually going ahead. From what I saw out the window, Glossop was soaked. Even the train driver had to have a say when he announced “Now arriving at a very wet Glossop”, yes, funny.

With the rain striding down me and Rod decided it was best to try and find some shelter. We pelted it across to the Coop next door. I hadn’t run that fast since Cross Country in Year Eight, I had only ran fast in that particular lesson because one of my old mates promised he would pay all my dinners for the next two weeks if I beat him. I lost. But still was fast, for my standards anyway. My old P.E teacher calmed “It was very much out of character”, ahh, memories.

Back to reality, after completing a quick lap of the Coop we noticed the rain had died down a bit so I made the suggestion we start to make our way towards the ground.

However, on the way I noticed an ALDI! Yes, an ALDI. My favourite supermarket!! A stop was necessary.

So, after a quick ALDI stop, to Surrey Street it was.

We eventually found the ground, with real difficulty, who’d of know reading a map was such a hard job? I handed over my £3.00 entry fee, the standard price at most NWCFL grounds and picked up a programme along the way, for a further £1.00. The programme was excellent and I would really recommend buying it. Graphic design wise it’s not great but the content more than makes up for that. I especially liked a column themed on fates and tempting the fates.

As I went through the turnstile, the beauty of Surrey Street and the surrounding hills opened up in front of me.

Directly opposite you (as you walk through the turnstiles) is the Main Stand, this is a three row deep seated stand which in certain positions offers good views of the pitch. I loved this stand; it was a proper Non-League 1950’s stand. It covered half of the pitch but instead of being located in the middle it was located along the left side of the pitch. Maybe that was the fashion in the 50’s?
 
To your right is what I am going to call the ‘KFC Side’, simply because the sign for the KFC next door to the ground pops up above the fence, free advertisement, love it! There’s not a lot going on at this side of the ground, it’s simply hard standing behind the goal with a small field behind for the players to warm up on.

To your left behind the other goal is a sheltered area named ‘The Trenches’ – this covers half of the pitch behind the goal and gives you the option of a sheltered and, slightly, elevated view of the action in front of you. This side is also home to the clubs main facilities, the club house, pie hut etc. What makes the ground so ‘quirky’ is the fact there is a colossal metal chimney type pole thing that looms over the whole stadium; this can be found behind the Trenches and is a wonderful addition to the ground.

As you walk through the turnstiles you are standing on the ‘Popular Side’ by far the most popular side out of the four. This offers sheltered standing for all supporters, a side I enjoyed watching the action because it offers wonderful views of not just the pitch but the surrounding scenery. It also houses a quirky tiny almost press box area which only a selected few ‘special’ ones can stand in.

So who are Glossop North End?

Founded in 1886 Glossop spent their early ears just playing friendly amateur matches before joining the North Cheshire League in 1890. Glossop reached the quarter-finals of the F Cup in the 1908-09 seasons where they lost 1-0 to Bristol City. Glossop saw a club record five figure crowds in an FA Cup game against Preston North End in January 1914, but that season were later relegated from the league. In 1955 the club moved to their current ground of Surrey Street. Most recently, the club did remarkably well in a Football Association based competition, this time the Vase where they lost 2-0 to Whitley Bat at Wembley Stadium in 2009. Just appearing in this friendly provided much needed cash boosts into the club which enabled them to build a brand new and impressive club house.

The history of Glossop written above is a very brief one written by myself, if you would like to see a far more detailed history of Glossop North End then click the following link: http://www.glossopnorthendafc.co.uk/history/.

On with the Blog, with only around forty minutes till the game actually started I headed straight to the highly recommended Pie Hut and ordered myself a Steak and Potato pie, when the lady handed it over to me by just looking at it I could already taste it in my mouth and then when she announced it would only cost me £1.50 the pie tasted even better.

I went into the Clubhouse to eat my gourmet style pie – and let me tell you it was worth every penny, highly recommended.

The clubhouse is a really nice building with plenty of space and some nice displays and pennants hung around the walls. I especially liked the FA Vase final painting, a really nice touch to what must have been an excellent day.

After finishing my pie and completing my groundhoppers lap of honour it was time for the two teams to enter onto the pitch.

I was really looking forward to this game simply because I had never seen these two teams play before and I heard good things about both. Going into the game Glossop were lying in a very respectable sixth position whilst Squires Gate resided in a questionable position of nineteenth. So for both teams it was a very important game for very different reasons.

I and Rob met up with Sean and the first half began to unfold in front of us…

Things did not start off as I and the crowd expected with Squires Gate taking an early lead on the seventh minute. Billy McKenna drilled in a perfect cross for Charlie Russell to poke home with real ease thanks to North End’s poor defending.

Glossop found a reply and a way back into the game on the half hour mark, albeit a scrappy one - Kieran Lugsden scuffed a Glossop cross into the box and after penalty ox pinball the ball landed at the feet of the captain Lincoln Adams who fired home in front of the Glossop ultras.

Half time soon came and me, Rob and Sean walked towards the rather warm but now packed clubhouse. I was happy when I found out Manchester City were loosing 2-0 at home to Watford in the FA Cup. With nothing else to report at half time the two teams then came out for the second half.

Glossop North End really impressed me in the second half playing some really impressive football on what was a wet and stodgy pitch, however, the visitors, Squires Gate, just seemed to crumble in the second half and they showed why they find themselves towards the bottom of the table.

Fifteen minutes into the second half Glossop took the lead, a high-cross was sent flying into the Gate box and after a scramble in the area Lugsden fired the ball into the back of the net.

Two minutes later Glossop were further ahead. Tom Bailey placing a cool finish past the keeper after a nice Glossop move.

Ben Richardson added to Glossop’s advantage on his debut, knocking home following a corner kick in which earlier goal scorer Bailey was involved.

Two minutes later the score line went from 4-1 to 5-1 thanks to Lee Blackshaw calmly finishing after a Glossop breakaway.

A very good and impressive win for Glossop which impressed a very health crowd of 222, personally, I was impressed with Glossop in the second half after playing some wonderful football on the deck and trying to pass the ball around but I was also impressed with Squires Gate in the first half who at least tried to come and cause an upset here at Surrey Street.

With our trains not coming till 17:08 we had bundles of time to get to the train station. With Sean being a regular at Glossop I and Rob allowed him to lead the way and he took a far more quicker and easier way than the one I and Rob came.

We arrived just before 17:05 so we had plenty of time and when the train did arrive we had more or less a full carriage to ourselves all the way to Piccadilly.

When arriving at Piccadilly I said my goodbyes to both Rob and Season who were going to Warrington and Stockport respectively and made my way to Platform 16 (I think) to get the packed train back to Bolton.

Alighting at Bolton, I had twenty minutes to wait for the delayed rain to Clitheroe. When it eventually arrived this train was also packed but that wasn’t a problem considering I was only on the train for a few minutes.

I arrived home at about 18:45.

Overall I had a great day spent with great people. In my opinion, Surrey Street is the best ground I have ever visited, beating even Mossley, it’s a cheap and wonderful day out and one I would recommend to any groundhopper.

I would like to take this opportunity also to thank the volunteers at Glossop North End who no doubt worked tirelessly to make sure the game goes ahead. Thank you!

Ground: - 10/10 – Best ground I have ever been too.
Programme: - 8/10 (Quality for money) – Good content.
Food: - 10/10 – Steak and Potato Pie. Absolutely faultless.
Match: - 8/10  Good game.




The beautiful town of Glossop.
The beautiful town of Glossop.
The big metal pole/ chimney.

The entrance to Glossop Street.

The faultless pie.

The Main Stand.



The Main Stand.
The Main Stand

The Popular Side.
The Trenches.
The Popular Side.






A wonderful painting to remember the FA Vase final back in 2009 at Wembley Stadium.










Surrey Street - Glossop North End

No comments

Powered by Blogger.