Manchester United U21 - Leigh Sports Village

Ever since the reboot of the Barclays U21 Premier League back in 2012 I have been meaning to visit U21 sides like Manchester United who normally play at the AJ Bell Stadium (Salford City Stadium) and Manchester City who play at Ewen Fields - not for long though as the development of the Etihad Campus draws to a close in 2015, first class facilities are expected for the youth teams at City. So, when I noticed an offer to watch Manchester United U21 vs Chelsea U21 (I’m going to start to drop the U21 soon, don’t worry) at Leigh Sports Village for absolutely nothing (free entry for all) I found it impossible to decline.

It was whilst scrolling down Twitter after another hard day of work at school, a day which consisted of double maths (never a good thing, trust me), I came across this wonderful offer. The Leigh Sports Village Twitter account tweeted an advert to notify many bargain hunters like myself of the offer.

Instantly, I penned this fixture into my rather free football diary. For those of you that don’t know, it’s exam season in England and this year I am sitting my final, but most important, GCSE exams. Exams, of course, equal revision. Revision equals less time. Less time equals less football filled Saturdays.

So with the United vs Chelsea game being on a Friday night the deal was made even sweater for myself.

So, after seeing the game advertised and officially deciding I was going to my first, and no doubt last, Barclays U21 Premier League game I did some research about the Barclays U21 Premier League, here is what I gathered from various forums and Wikipedia pages:

Well firstly, the whole idea of this division was raised via the Elite Player Performance Plan back in early 2012, it was to be the successor of the following: Premier Reserve League, Premier Academy League and the Football Combination. What I like most about this league is that you don’t have to be in the Premier League to be in the Premier League U21 League – the U21/Reserve status is not linked to the first time, unlike the old Reserve Divisions. And that’s where we are today, we have a very professionally run system of youth leagues controlled by the Premier and Football League.

Fair to say it’s a job well done by the FA.

 All this research and planning led me to the realisation that the game was a good two weeks away, looks like I had to wait for my first taste of the Barclays U21 PL.

---------------------------------------

Finally, the day had arrived. A day I had been waiting for. A day I had been looking forward to. Friday was the day. The day that I was to taste U21 football for the first time.

The plan was this, my Grandad (Hayes – whom I invited in the days leading up to this game, also a die-hard Manchester City fan) was to meet me at my house at around 4:30(ish) and we would travel down to Leigh for something to eat for tea round his house. Sorted.

So, after another long, hard, slog at school it was time for the plan to be put into action. Catching the 921 bus from Thornleigh to Bromley Cross, I was excited; I am not going to lie. A quick change of attire and a snack, I have a big appetite, and we were away.

Next stop, Leigh. The journey there was halted several times due to typical Friday night rush hour traffic but that wasn’t a problem because we had time to spare and also conversation was flowing, a good catch up opportunity.

Stopping off at a chippy in Leigh (which name now evades me) we arrived at my Granddad’s house at around 17:30. I opted for my usual Steak Pie, Chips and Gravy; all three were of good quality – a recommended place, if only I could’ve remembered the name….

Anyway, after an episode of Midsummer Murders cousin and City fan Jake was dropped off by his mother, the three amigos were now complete. A catch up in the warmth of my granddad’s living room followed and then we were on our way.

The three off us jumped into the car at around 18:25, normally I do like to get into the ground about an hour earlier than kick off, which tonight as at 19:00. However, I wasn’t to fussed tonight because of a) I have been to Leigh Sports Village (I’m now going to refer to it as LSV) plenty of times b) My granddad only lives around the corner of the stadium and c) It wasn’t exactly a massive game. I honestly can’t believe I just used the later as an excuse, bad Zach!

Now, I thought that LSV was only about a two-three minute drive away from Granddad’s house but obviously I did not take into consideration the awkward and annoying one way streets which so proudly mess people around in and around the town centre. However, it only added one or two minutes onto out journey which wasn’t at all a problem.

A quick flash of my Granddad’s blue disabled badge and we were parked directly outside turnstile twenty three and twenty four, all for free! We headed through the two turnstiles directly in front of us and with it being a free ticketless match the turnstiles were queless and easy to get through, no problems at all. I picked up an official Team Sheet on the way and headed out into the stand.

As I mentioned earlier, this was a ticketless game so all seats were unreserved. To put it into the words of the larger than life stewards at LSV “take any seat you like, but make sure you give it us back” – “sit anywhere, as long as it’s not on the green”. For once, it was nice to see a friendly steward who you can have a joke and a laugh with rather than the usual soulless stewards you see stamped up and down the football league.

As for LSV, well, to be honest, I quite like it. Despite it being a new build I feel the ground has got a bit of atmosphere and character about it, as with most new Rugby League grounds.

The £50million project was built as a multi-use stadium for the local community, officially being opened by the queen in December 2008. The ground manly stages Rugby League games, Leigh Centurions, but has also been used for the Rugby League World Cup – Tonga vs Cook Islands, I game I went to and thoroughly enjoyed. On the football side of this the current tenants are Blackburn Rovers Reserves who play in the same league as Manchester United and Chelsea U21. In the past, Leigh Genesis played at LSV but sadly, the now defunct team couldn’t get a fan base together so then had to move onto Atherton LR’s Crilly Park.

I was sat in the Main Stand, which is officially named the ‘West Stand’ this is your simple bog standard stand really. A good number of rows deep of red and white seats offering good views of the pitch no matter what row or seat you decide to sit in.

To my left was the ‘North Stand’, an all standing terrace. That’s the stand I stood in for the Rugby League World Cup game I went to at LSV and I have to say it is my favourite of the three simply because it provides a good atmosphere and anything is better than sitting down for a full game of Rugby and Football. The sooner they bring standing into football the better I say!

Opposite me is the East Stand, despite being the same size this stand looked bigger than the West, maybe because the West homes the dugout, I don’t know but wither way this again, is your bog standard new build seating stand. My first visit to LSV was when England and France
(Rugby League) were taking a friendly and I sat in this stand, it offers good views, however, if you come on a sunny day don’t make the same mistake I did and bring a pair of sun glasses.

To my right is the fourth and final stand called, yes, you’ve guessed it, the ‘South Stand’. To be honest, I can’t say an awful lot about this stand because I’ve never been in it but what I can tell you is that it’s all seated and behind the goal, there we go. Sorted.

After taking in my surroundings the rather un inspiring PA announcer turned on his microphone, bringing an abrupt end to Mika – We Are Golden, to welcome the two teams onto the pitch.

Here it was, the moment hand finally arrived, yes, finally, I would be watching my first ever Barclays U21 Premier League football match. I was evidently, over excited.

As for the game in itself, well it wasn’t too bad!
I was surprised at the level of competitiveness from both sides, let me rephrase that, I was surprised at the level of physicality from both sides, especially from the United side. They were diving in for everything and anything.

The Blues started the game the better of the two sides. Most people in the ground, including myself, expected the young Chelsea side to go in at half time with the lead. Winger Alex Kiwomya's cross-cum-shot was tipped over by Ben Amos (the only name I recognised in the team sheet) and impressive save from the ex Hull City loan player.

Ben Amos followed up his earlier impressive save with a few moor good saves to ensure he had a clean sheet heading into the dressing room at the break.

Referee Jonathan Hunt brought an end to the first half and United had Ben Amos to thank for going in level at half time.

During in the break myself and Jake were sent down below to get some half time snacks. Now when I say down below I don’t mean the home of Satan (hell for those of you that don’t know) I mean the concourse, silly! When it was our turn to be eventually served we ordered: 1 Boost Bar, 1 Dairy Milk, 1 Packet of Crips, 1 Tea and 1 Hot Chocolate. The prices of which I am not 100% sure on but I’d say we didn’t get much change from £5.00.

Just like any ground home to a Professional Sports team the food was good, the usual. I had the hot chocolate and the Dairy Milk which were good and a welcomed snack as the wind was now beginning to pick up and any extra energy or heat was welcomed with open arms.

Second half started and straight from the off it was a case of more of the same really. Ben Amos being, again, the star of the show repeatedly pulling off fine saves.

I was impressed with the way Chelsea played their football in this half of the game, they were tried to keep it on the deck and tried to get forward but were halted by the strong United defence who were as equally impressive.

£8million summer signing Marco van Ginkel was introduced at half time making his return from a nasty injury and even he failed to help liven the game up.

The best chance of the second half fell to substitute van Ginkel who cut in and unleashed a shot into the direction of United keeper Amos. However, Amos threw himself in front of the ball to make yet another impressive stop. I hope some scouts were watching that game as Amos deserves a chance after only being played in dribs and drabs on loan at clubs like the mid-table (in the Championship) Hull City and Carlisle United.

The referee soon saw it fit to bring the game to an end, after the ninety minutes were up of course. I, Jake and Granddad made out way back to his car, on the doorstep of the stadium and a quick getaway followed. Granddad said he’s drop me off at a Bus Stop in Atherton instead of waiting twenty minutes for the bus to leave from Leigh, which he did and I appreciated as it saved me a good ten minutes of standing in the cold.

I got talking to an elderly man from Wigan about the ins and outs of Rugby League and just as the conversation was about to get awkward the 582, thankfully, arrived.

I spent the majority of the bus journey writing my Blog then getting ready for the change at Bolton Bus Station to 538 to Bromley Cross, a service which I hate because it goes in and out of every estate in Bolton.

I arrived home at around 22:45, I had made good time.

Overall, I had an excellent night out in Leigh, it’s not often you hear that. I felt it was very generous of Manchester United/LSV to offer the game out for free, both of them clearly trying to get the fans supporting the stars of tomorrow.

I would also recommend visiting a game in the Barclays U21 Premier League as it is worth the watch and you do get to see tomorrow’s footballers in a good game of football. My next U21 game planned is in the Easter holiday, Manchester United U21 (again) vs Norwich City U21 at Old Trafford, see you there Blog Buds!

Ground: - 6/10 – Nice little place, good atmosphere.
Programme: - N/A
Food: - 6/10 – Nice hot chocolate. Standard Dairy Milk.


Match: - 5/10  Not bad for a 0-0.























No comments

Powered by Blogger.