Whitley Bay - Hillheads Park

The Atherton Collieries annual pre-season outing was fantastic last year. A good number of both Colls supporters and ground hoppers from around the local area turned out to watch and support Colls turn out against Welsh Alliance League side CPD Glantraeth, it truly was a great day out in Anglesey that day. So, when it was announced that Colls would be playing Northern League outfit Whitley Bay this summer I, and several others, jumped at the chance to go up to the North East with the mighty Colls.

I’d been looking forward to this fixture for a long while now, making sure my place on the coach was 100% booked at the Colls vs Curzon Ashton game on the Saturday before. Emil then pointed out it was a 9:00am departure, early yes, but I didn’t care. For me, there is something quite quirky and interesting (I might even push for hipster) about dragging myself across town at 8:00 in the morning.

The plan was this; I was going to get the 8:00am bus from Bromley Cross to Bolton. Ten, I would go on to get the rather regular 582 service from Bolton to Leigh, getting off at the ASDA in Atherton (for snacks, of course) – where I would meet up with Warrington Town fan and ground hopper Rob Clarke. Then go onto Alder House to meet up with the Colls Crazy Gang.

Simple!

Or was it?

Yes it was really, just thought I’d build up a little suspense.

Onto the day of the game, I awoke at 6:30am after  terrible night’s sleep – I was kept awake till at least 4:00am by my neighbours who decided to sit outside and play what I can only describe as God awful music, so in the end a 6:30 wake up didn’t seem too bad.

Anyway, after some breakfast and a refreshing shower I felt fine and was more than ready for the long trip to Whitley Bay.

I left the house at around 7:45am – more than enough time for me to stroll to the bus stop around a ten minutes walk away in Dunscar. Weirdly, Bromley Cross was super quite, it’s a quite area normally but not as quite as it was that Saturday morning, I didn’t see one car or one person. I felt as if I was in one of those horror movies where everyone has disappeared or have been wiped out by a strange but powerful alien race. Luckily, all these theories proved to be false when the number one bus eventually rocked up.

After a smooth journey into Bolton on what I can only describe as the comfiest bus in Bolton it was time for me to join the queue for my final bus service for the morning the 582. Whilst waiting patiently, I was approached by a strange looking man who asked to use my phone to call an ambulance because his friend had collapsed, instantly I knew it was a trick when the supposedly collapsed friend of his began to snore. Nice try though guys, maybe next time?

Alighting at the ASDA in Atherton I met up with Rob and we went into ASDA saying hello to Emil, Emma and club coach Scott who were heading in the opposite direction, out of ASDA. For me, it was too early for the usual high calories sugary rubbish I buy so I found the first breakfasty thing I could, a packet of Cheddar Cheeses, accompanied with a bottle of water.

Alder House was our next destination to board onto the coach that would be taking us all to Whitley Bay. I must admit when I first saw the coach my heart sank, it looked as if it hadn’t been touched since the 70’s. However, I was proved well wrong when the journey went under way – the coach was superb, comfy ride and reasonable leg room. Ever heard the phrase ‘never judge a book by its cover’? Well, lesson learnt.

The journey there was pleasant; everyone was in a good mood and looking forward to the day ahead. We were confronted with no real traffic issues so we were in Whitley Bay for around 12:30. Good timing if you ask me.

After unloading the coach the lads decided to have a pre-match walk into town, Gibbo decided (not by choice I suspect) to lay the kit out and me and Rob decided to be cheeky, walk on the pitch and take pictures of the ground. Today’s ground tick was slightly unique as I opted to not read a thing/look at any pictures of the ground and the town so I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived and instantly loved the ground. Anyway, more on the ground latter. With the kit laid out, Gibbo suggested we should have a walk to beach. Rob and I agreed. Away we went.

On the way down to the beach we passed a B+M Bargains (one of my favourite shops of all time), I was buzzing and all for going in to seek out the biggest bargain in the Whitley Bay branch but unfortunately Gibbo and Rob didn’t like the sound of this so they had to drag me away and down to the coast. And what a lovely coast/beech they have too. Due to not having enough time we didn’t have a chance to walk down to the main stretch of the popular beech so we just opted to find the first steps down and mooch around there for a bit. Whilst photographers Gibbo and Rob were snapping away I decided to pick a rock up from the bay as a little souvenir. Aren’t I creative?

Twenty minutes and several pictures of rocks late we made our way back to the ground as kick off approached, this time we headed through the main street which I thought was a lovely mixture of old and of new. My favourite building being the local Spoons called the Fire Station; I shall attach a picture, a pub for all you hipsters out there.

We arrived back at Hillheads Park and were met by Emil who dished out some old Whitley Bay programmes whilst informing us there wasn’t one printed for today’s games so Bay offered these old issues free of charge, a nice touch and a generous offer indeed.

So, who are Whitley Bay? Well, founded in 1950 Bay were the first ever amateur team to win the Northumbaland Senior Cup in the 52/53 season. In the 60’ Bay were one of the best amateur teams in the country winning quite a large number of cups. Bay’s  best FA Cup run came in the 1989/90 after being knocked out by Rochdale in the third round after beating both Scaraborugh and Preston in the previous two. Then came the record breaking FA Vase wins, firstly in the 2001/02 season, then three times on the trot in the following seasons, 2008/08, 2009/10 and 2011/12 – a fantastic achievement indeed.

As for the ground itself, well it’s lovely. I know I do say that a lot but Hillheads Park is up there with one of my favourites. It actually reminds me of a slightly bigger Surrey Street (the ground of NWCFL side Glossop North End). As you walk through the turnstiles and portable food hut you are standing next to the Main Stand, this covered about 1/3 of the pitch and was placed central to the pitch, it was about 7/8 rows deep and offered comfortable and the standard modern football seating. This side also housed the clubs facilities you know, the clubhouse, media room, changing rooms etc.

Behind both goals is just plain hard standing. A slight difference being behind the goal to your right – you’ll find almost layered hard standing to give you a slightly more elevated view.

Opposite the Main Stand you’ll find the same layered hard standing but this side is sheltered. This sheltered stand runs around half the pitch and again is centrally located; this looked to be the newest of the stands inside Hillheads.
 
With about fifteen minutes to go until kick off I wondered over to the food hut to get myself some dinner. I wasn’t really in a pie mood and this was a good thing as there wasn’t any available. Instead, I opted for a hot dog which was really sizeable and nice; I got my moneys worth only paying £2.00 for the pleasure.

Hot dog demolished, it was time to go and make camp with the Colls Crazy Gang behind the right goal to cheer on the men in black and white for the first half.

Below is my own Match Report from the game which is also being used on the Colls website, in case you’re wondering.

It was a warm summer’s day at Hillheads Park and both sides were geared up for Colls concluding pre-season fixture.

Colls started poorly and just two minutes into the game found themselves behind. Whitley Bay’s Leon Ryan volleyed into the goal after a Bay corner was headed down into the box, straight to Ryan’s feet.

Four minutes later and Colls had a chance to pull a goal back and level the game, summer signing Ben Hardcastle skilled his way into the Bay box, Hardcastle sped round the two covering Bay defenders only for his shot to be blocked behind for a corner by the third Bay defender.

Whitley Bay had a good chance to double their advantage twenty minutes into the game. Bay’s Craig McFarlane found himself on the right hand side of the Colls box, Mcfarlane passed across to Tom Bott whose shot was well saved by Colls keeper Josh Harris.

Half an hour into the game, it was Colls turn to attack. Matty Boland ran towards the bay box from his left wing, cuts in, and shoots, but again the Bay defence got their body in front of if to block the shot and clear the danger.

Colls were now starting to control the game; silly errors gave away possession but the hard working Colls soon won it back on more than one occasion.

With seven minutes left of the first half Colls again were attacking. James Brook received the ball on the outside of the box; turning (whilst under pressure from the Bay defence) he laid the ball off perfectly for Boland. However, his shot curled just wide of the Bay goal.

It was a positive first half performance from Colls, controlling the ball well against the four time FA Vase winners, Whitley Bay defended bravely in the first half and Colls were unlucky not to go in at half time level.

During the first half, I noticed Rob was wearing a Whitley Bay shirt, when I questioned him about this he put up a good defence by saying they were only £12.00. I couldn’t resist. For that price anyway. I joined Rob and bought myself a Whitley Bay shirt. It turned out to be a very good buy, I wore it on the next day when I visited Trafford and I can report it’s very good quality, comfortable and is also a very jice design.

Sixteen minutes into the second half, Brad Cooke took the ball away from Whitley Bay; Cooke took the ball from half way to the edge of the box where he threaded the ball through to Hardcastle whose shot heading for the bottom right hand corner was well saved by Bay’s Mark Cook.

On the sixty fifth minute Bay doubled their lead. Bott had the ball threaded through to him and released his shot which travelled along the deck, Colls second half keeper Danny Taberner, went to collect the ball but an unfortunate error resulted in the ball somehow slipping between his legs and over the line. An unfortunate error by Taberner.

Colls didn’t let their heads drop and worked hard to at least get a goal back. Five minutes after Bay’s second goal a long ball was sent across the Bay half of the pitch towards Colls’ Jake Patton who controlled well and brought the ball down to the deck. Patton passed the ball over to the oncoming Cooke who fired his shot at the Bay goal but again Bay’s number one Cook was equal to it.

Three minutes after Colls were attacking again, working hard to find a goal. Patton had the ball deep into the right hand side of the box. Having the ball on the right foot, he swapped it to the left only for the following shot to be curled well wide of the Bay goal.

Colls final attack came two minutes after the last, a ball was sent forward for Colls’ Tom Shaw to collect down the left wing, Shaw cut inside of the Bay box and fired his shot at the Bay goal, Cook however made his save of the game to make sure Colls found no way back into the game.

Second half Colls could of easily let their heads drop but they didn’t, they kept working, trying to find a way back into the game. A very positive performance from the men in black and white who were deservedly applauded off the pitch by the ever-growing Colls Crazy Gang at the end of the game.

After applauding the players, we all made our way back to the clubhouse after the game where the players soon joined us. Whitley Bay kindly put food on for us all, sausage, chips and curry sauce which went down really well. All were lovely. I never normally opt for Curry Sauce but I did that day and I’m glad I did, it was beautiful and well recommended.

A departure time was set. We had until 6:30. This was more than enough time for the Colls faithful to get in their final drinks (from the clubhouse anyway) and just relax after sitting in the North East sun all afternoon.

The coach home was thoroughly entertaining – drinks were shared, drinking games were played and chants were sung – including numbers such as ‘there’s only one team in Athy’ and ‘Micheal Clegg’s back and white army’ – Atherton Collieries, coming to a ground near you.

Both Colls players and fans were mixing and getting to know one another ahead of the upcoming season, the atmosphere on the coach was electric and was summed up perfectly by one Colls fan who said – ‘Can you imagine if we actually won something, what will we be like then?’

Once back in the familiar surroundings of Alder House we stored some bags inside of Alder House, earlier in the day I asked club coach Scott if he could give me a lift home as he told me he only lives around the corner from Bromley Cross, where I live. Scott very generously accepted and dropped me off.

Overall, I had an excellent day with the Colls and I would recommend to anyone a visit to Hillheads Park if they ever get the opportunity. It is a mixture of new and old and has a large amount of character around the place. Whitley Bay are also ran by very kind and hospitable people who made everyone from Colls feel very welcome indeed! A top day out!

Whitley Bay 2-0 Atherton Collieries - Saturday 26th July 2014 - Pre-season Friendly - Game #7 - Ground #36  

Ground: - 10/10 – A Very nice ground to watch a game of football.
Programme: - N/A
Food: - Hotdog – 8/10 – Very nice and filling.
Match: - 7/10  Good game.
Miles Travelled TO Ground: - 164 mile
Money Spent: - £27.00






































No comments

Powered by Blogger.