Warrington Town - Cantilever Park

Firstly, apologies for the lack of updates on the Blog side of things recently. I've not had the chance to Blog in a good while however, I can and I am now resuming Blogging about my adventures between August and today. The first of which is this one here  - my blog on my trip to Warrington Town in August:


For a good while now, regular guest on this humble little Blog Rob Clarke has been, well, not mithering, more strongly suggesting that I should visit the team that he supports – Warrington Town. Normally I decline insisting the train fare is too much however, when he invited me to watch their home game at home to Salford City (now of course owned by the Class of 92) on Tuesday 19th August I had one of those sod it moments, I might even stretch to YOLO, and accepted.

Normally it’s the other way round; I would drag Rob around Manchester and it’s beautiful surrounding areas, going to visit grounds a lot closer to me, so it’s only right that Rob had is turn to drag me around Warrington for a change. I was actually quite looking forward to my visit as I had heard good things. Well, good things about the ground anyway.

The Saturday before the game it was the opening day of the Premier League, but more importantly, it was the opening day of the Evo-Stick League. As always, it failed to disappoint with good games, cracking score lines and controversy rolled into one. Focusing on the Evo-Stick Division One North (Warrington’s league) Droylsden, after having a torrid season resulting in relegation won their opening game by beating Bamber Bridge 7-1, Harrogate Railway Athletic and Mossley played out a 5-5 draw and Warrington manager Shaun Reid had abandoned his game away at Darlington – losing 2-0 at the time. That was the controversial bit.

Without wanting to start an argument, it’ll be easier if I just post the league’s view on the situation than express my own opinions – ‘Warrington could be charged by the NPL for failing to fulfil a fixture after failing to re-take the field against Darlington following an injury to a match official. The Quakers were 2-0 up with goals by Adam Mitchell and Amar Purewal but on 32 minutes the referee went down in a heap, frantically blew his whistle several times, and waved to the Darlington physio for attention to a calf injury.’

Either way, it made their game against Salford City all the more important and entertaining. Perfect!

Anyway, as usual, I made my way to Bromley Cross at 15:00 to begin my journey to Warrington catching the 15:28 Northern Rail service to Manchester Victoria. I was only on-board that service for about seven minutes, getting off at Bolton for a change of trains.

I made my way from Platform One to Platform Four to catch the 15:45 service to Wigan. Personally, I love Wigan town centre, I like to describe it as ‘indie’. I don’t know why, I just do. It was at Wigan Wallgate that I was presented with the first opportunity to buy my ticket for the day. I nearly fainted when I heard how much they were charging me to get to Warrington and back - £13.00, yes £13.00. The less said about it the better.

After a hop from one train station in Wigan to the other I caught my Virgin Train service to Warrington. As soon as I got onto the train I was impressed. The service Virgin run is so superior compared to Northern Rail. The ride was smooth and leg room was available. Nice one Virgin!

Unfortunately my joyous Virgin Train service only lasted nine minutes, pulling into Warrington Banque Quay station and meeting Rob. Rob very kindly gave me a guided tour of Warrington. We saw the many beautiful sights of Warrington, the Poundland, the Poundbakery and the very plush Bus Station.

On a serious note, Warrington Town centre is a very nice place, quite clearly recently renovated and you can tell. It was a very clean and modern place with quirky fountains and flower beds, it’s essentially Wigan’s little brother.

After the tour of Warrington Rob and I decided it was time to get some tea. And for a takeaway tea there is only one place you can go, The Chili Grill. Why? Well, they do Pizza for £1.00 – that’s right
Pizza for £1.00. My face lit up when Rob revealed this to me and we practically jogged to Chilli Grill as I do love a good bargain. I handed over my £1.00 and very impatiently waited for my Pizza to be handed over to me. Once handed over, it was eaten, certainly not the best Pizza I’ve ever had but for £1.00 I couldn’t complain.

With me fed and watered we made our way to the ground. Again, from the rather long walk to the ground I saw that Warrington is a lovely little leafy town. I quite liked it. Ahead of me, at the end of the street we were walking down I could see the entrance of Cantileaver Park, it was almost like a light at the end of the tunnel moment.

Walking through some gates that read Warrington and Town I made my way to the turnstile, and much to my surprise Phil Neville was doing exactly the same, who told him that I was going? Honestly. I don’t get a moments peace. Of course, it’s more the other way around. It’s Mr P Neville that doesn’t get a moments peace.

At the Turnstile I handed over my admittance fee, followed by a further £2.00 for a Programme. The Programme was alright, just average really. I felt at £2.00 it was slightly overpriced, a more suitable price probably being £1.50. There was lots of readable content; it was just not easy on the eye. The front cover suggests it will be good looking and full colour; it’s the opposite of both.

So, who are Warrington Town?

Well, founded in 1949 as Stockton Heith Albion they began life in the Warrington and District League playing at a ground called London Road (no, not the one in Peterborough). Four years later they moved into the Mid Cheshire League, appointing Freddie Worrall as manager, he was at the club for an impressive thirteen years. In 1961 the club changed their name to its current form – Warrington Town, moving to their current ground four years later. The seventies saw Warrington in the doldrums, the club going without success before the formation of the NWCFL in 1982. The formation enabled them to start working their way up the Non-League pyramid. In the 1985-86 season Warrington got to the semi-final of the FA Vase, losing to the eventual winners Halesowen Town. In 1994-95 Warrington found themselves in the draw for the first round proper of the FA Cup, with a replay still to play at Hyde United, unfortunately for them, Hyde won that replay. A few seasons later in the 1998-99 season the club saw teenage striker Damien Whitehead score fifty two goals in fort two appearances, a club record, he attracted a lot of attention and moved to Macclesfield Town the next season. A few promotions and relegations later and we found ourselves at today’s game.

As for Cantilever Park, well, it’s a nice little ground actually and I like it. As you come through the turnstiles you find yourself on the side of the changing rooms. This side consists of the clubhouse, the refreshments hut, the changing rooms and a quirky little seating stand.

To the left of the Changing Room side is the what I’m going to call the ‘WTSC Terrace’ (Warrington Town Supporters Club) – simply because without fail they will always stand there on a match day cheering on their club. It consists of sheltered basic terracing that runs ¼ of the pitch, located behind the goal.

To the right of the ‘WTSC Stand’ is the Main Stand. This is your average Main Stand really; it offers good views of the pitch and does the job. It fulfils the needs of Warrington Town.

To the left of the Main Stand is just basic hard standing behind that one goal, backing onto it is a 3G AstroTurf pitch which was being used throughout the game.

It’s safe to say that if both Gary and Phil Neville turned up to that match wanting to concentrate then they didn’t, they were followed throughout by people wanting and asking for autographs and photos. If anything, I felt a tad sorry for them!

Anyway, the game.

I had seen Salford City play in my second game of the season against Daisy Hill in a pre-season friendly. I wasn’t too impressed with them and I thought that they were only just a bit better than the NWCFL side. However, today Salford were on top form and played some really impressive football.

Ex Manchester United player Danny Webber scored the goal which gave Salford the lead, Warrington defender Craig Robinson gave away possession for Webber to collect, run past the defender and score. A well worked individual goal.

It was at this point both Gary and Phil Neville were walking past me. I couldn’t resist, pulling out my programme and my pen I asked Gary first, then Phil to sign my Programme. Thankfully, to avoid awkwardness they agreed and were very happy to do so, and that was that, I now have a Warrington Town programme signed by the Neville brothers. Any takers?

As the referee was about to blow up for half time Salford doubled their advantage. Gareth Seddon hit
a half volley from twenty five yards out, the ball floated over and past Town goalkeeper Karl Wills. It was a disappointing time for Warrington to concede as they were starting to play a tad better as the half rolled down.

Nothing really to report during half time, I did another lap of the ground but this was more of a keep warm thing for it had fell cold towards the end of the first half.

Second half and Warrington came out the better side, in the opening stages of the half they bossed possession and created the better chances however, as I have seen hundreds of times on my travels, they didn’t turn chances into goals and missed their chance. Salford got more into the game and it became apparent that they would win the game so they successfully slowed the pace of it down.

In the end, Salford held on to secure the 2-0 win.

Full Time – Warrington Town 0-2 Salford City

After the game me and Rob played a quick game of Pool, which is one thing I love doing at a Non-League football game, it just adds a bit of character and rounds of the day well. I’m weird like that.

Anyway, after the game of pool I was very kindly offered a lift back to Warrington Bank Quay station by Rob’s mother. Of course, not wanting to walk through Warrington Town Centre at 22:00 I accepted, although I am sure there is nothing wrong with Warrington at 22:00!

A few train journeys later and I found myself in the comfortable surroundings of my house. Safe to say, that night I slept like a baby.

It had been a good day; I had a Pizza for £1, ticked a very nice and new ground off my list and got my programme signed by the Neville brothers.

Tuesday 19th August  – Warrington Town 0-2 Salford City – The Evo-Stick NPL – Cantilever Park – Game #19 – Ground #42











































No comments

Powered by Blogger.