New York City v Brondby IF - Acadmey Stadium (Manchester City)

When I first heard about Manchester City’s ambitious, yet achievable, Academy Complex project I was impressed, even if I was only in Year 9 when the only aim in my life was to get the latest phone, a Blackberry. One Blackberry (totally overrated) and four years later and the new Academy Complex had opened, and with it came another ground to tick off with the onsite Academy stadium now hosting a long list of games that appealed to me.


One game stuck out at the time was New York City v Brondby IF. Why? Well, mainly because it was on a Sunday, tickets were cheap and it gave me an opportunity to watch two teams I had never seen (and probably will never see again). This combined of course with the mentality that it was another ground to tick, and one that I really wanted to do.

The day started with me rushing around as I tried to get my things together because I, understandably, slept right through my alarm. With this being an early kick off I had to be in Manchester for around 10:30 so an early start was necessary. Anyway, after I wolfed down a couple slices of toast, I made my way to Entwistle train station to catch the 9:30 Northern Rail train to Manchester.

On this trip I was joined by Tom, Will and Alex, friends of mine from College – the original plan was a meet at Bromley Cross train station. However, Alex had woken up late meaning he would have to meet us in Bolton instead.

One change in Bolton later and we soon found ourselves in the glorious and rather quaint streets of Manchester City Centre. Personally, I love Manchester, I feel it’s got a lot of character and atmosphere other cities don’t. For me, its London’s not as famous, but equally as talented brother.

It was still rather early, with this in mind I went to Greggs – any old excuse really. I picked up a Bacon Sandwich and a Coffee. All was going good, as you would expect it to do so. However, I was in such a rush to put sugar in my Coffee that I spilt half of it over my hand. Oh well, at least my hand now smelt nice (not that it particularly smelt nasty before). As Monty Python once said in a song, ‘always look on the bright side of life’.

So, after I had scolded myself we made our way over to the tram station in Piccadilly Gardens and it was here that we met Rob, two Robs in fact, blog regular Rob Clarke and fellow Counties Podcast podcaster Rob McKay. Mr. McKay was off to the same game as us and joined briefly for this journey to the ‘Academy Stadium’.

When we arrived at our tramp stop, ‘Velopark’ which is literally across the road from the ground, I w
as taken back, already, despite the fact I was still outside the ground, it looked fantastic, I was unbelievably impressed. This spurred me on and increased the excitement to get into the ground.

With this excitement in mind I walked around the ground to pick our reserved tickets up, initially I went the wrong way and had to go back on myself – this burned vital calories. Luckily however, once I picked our tickets up and we made our way through the rather swish, train station toilet like turnstiles I was presented with a packet of free (that’s correct free) salt and pepper popcorn. Calories re-gained! In spectacular fashion too as the popcorn was great!

As I turned into the ground I was again taken aback by the ground. I know this might sound a bit over the top (and it probably slightly is) but honestly for a ground dedicated to the Academy teams at City it is honestly a top class facility. It’s up there as one of my favourite grounds.

The stadium consists of four stands which combine to give it a capacity of 7,000. A chunk of 5,000 of that capacity derives from the two equally sized all-seater stands – they appear to be the same in
height, width and colour of seats and face each other either side of the field. Now, I just mentioned the colour of the seats within the two stands. They are actually more interesting than you would think. The seats are randomised in terms of colour; one would be a dark blue, the other light. Despite only being something small this impressed me, I don’t particularly know why.

Behind the goals were two terraced stands, again a nice design as they almost curved around the pitch.

Overall, all that can be said is that the Academy Stadium is one of the better  new (‘modern’) grounds that I have been to, designed wonderfully.

For those that don’t know, although I am sure that you do, New York City are owned by Manchester City and this game against Brondby was only their second of all time. In fact, the second of two, before they went on to play in the Carolina Challenge Cup in the more sunnier sites of the USA. All these friendlies (or ‘exhibition matches’ as they are known over in the franchise loving states) came ahead of their inaugural season in the MLS. Despite only being a new side they had money, and a lot of it – enough to attract names such as David Villa anyway.

Therefore, despite it being February, a relaxed and carefree game of football was expected as both sides used this game to focus on fitness I’m sure. Possibly, this was also used as a team bonding exercise by New York, remember all the players would’ve only just met each other and this was only their second game of football together.

The game started like any other friendly, slow paced, direct passes along the deck and no real action.

However, action was witnessed on the 26th minute. The ball was lost in midfield by New York’s Mix
Diskerud (what a name). Brondby capitalised on the opportunity that was presented to them. Former Bolton Wanderers player Johan Elmander had the ball played to him in the centre of the New York box, Elmander played the ball across to team mate Martin Ørnskov who slotted the ball past the onrushing Goalkeeper.

Before the culmination of the first half, New York had a couple of chances to get an equaliser. However, both opportunities presented to them (in the form of free kicks) were blazed well over the bar.

Half Time – New York City 0-1 Brondby IF

The second half saw a completely different New York XI take to the field, however it was more of the same performance wise. Just four minutes into the second half Brondby had doubled their advantage. Patrick da Silva (another epic name) darted down the left wing from defence to the edge of the New York box. Silva then slipped the ball through to Hasani who slipped the ball under Goalkeeper Saunders.

New York’s Tony Taylor (a funny name this time) had a number of chances to put his side back in the game. However, Taylor was denied by initially the Borndby keeper and then his accuracy, with his second shot drifting past the post.

Full Time – New York City 0-2 Brondby

Despite the result, it was a very good runout for New York whom at the start fo the season, may have been a little disheartened by their indifferent pre-season as they made a mixed started to the season having won, drew and lost a number of their opening games.

After the game, Tom, Alex, Will, Rob and I had a little stroll down to the tram station next door, the Etihad Campus. This was so we could have a little peek at the Etihad closer up. I have been to the Etihad a number of times and one section of the ground was almost unrecognisable due to ongoing building works at the time. It was good to see the owners invest in developing the ground now, as well as the surrounding area.

After a quick tram journey back into Manchester, which involved a rather interesting, mostly broken English conversation with the Brondby fans we hopped over to Victoria to get our final train home.

Overall, it had been a fine day down at the Academy Stadium. It really is great to see an area that was once just run down concrete and gravel turned into fine footballing architecture. The Academy Stadium is like no other modern stadium I have ever visited. Normally new grounds are soulless bowls, this is the opposite.

Sunday 15th February - New York City 0-2 Brondby IF - Friendly - Game #51 - Ground #50

Ground: - 9/10 – One of the better modern grounds
Programme: - N/A
Food: - Popcorn – 10/10 – It was free.
Match: - 5/10 – A typical friendly.
Miles Travelled TO Ground: - 19.9 miles




















No comments

Powered by Blogger.