Prestwich Heys - Adie Moran Park

I have watched and Blogged about the beautiful game at many levels in this country, from the Championship through to the Conference North and the North West Counties Football League. However, one level I have never payed much attention to is that of Step 7, on Saturday 1st August I set about putting that record straight.


Don’t get me wrong, I have watched a few games from the Step 7 leagues, however I never paid them enough respect to Blog about them, until now. This, of course, is a good thing! In fact, I got into the concept of Non-League Football through Step 7, my first game of ‘Non-League Football’ was at West Lancashire League side Eagley FC who play very near my house.

When fellow Atherton Collieries supporter Sean messaged me with regards to Prestwich Heys’ game at the weekend, the opportunity was presented to me to visit them to absorb their pre-season friendly against Radcliffe Borough. Opportunity taken and I really looked forward to it.

A series of busses were going have to be caught in order to get me to ‘Adie Moran Park’, three in fact. That wasn’t a problem. Sorted, planned.

On the day of the game, that plan, albeit not very detailed, was thrown out the window when my Grandad proposed to me the idea of him giving me a lift, both there and back. Strangely generous but accepted nonetheless. The reason behind this was due to the fact he wanted to take a trip into Manchester, he could drop me off on his way. Perfect!

It turned out Sean wasn’t able to join me on this day, instead he opted for a trip to Knutsford, and this of course was fine by me. I know it’s a ground that Sean has wanted to do for a while now.

On the day of the game I awoke to an overcast sky that uninspired the most inspired amongst us. Of course, this was the first day of August – a grey and gloomy day was inevitable. Anyway, after breakfast, a shower and a change my Grandad picked me up. By this time, torrential rain had broken out. Fantastic! You have got to love Great British summers.

However, as the journey progressed the rain just got heavier. It was at This point that I got slightly cautious. Sure, the rain had only just started but this was pre-season, some clubs have to,
understandably, protect their pitch at this very early stage of the footballing season.

Luckily, as my Grandad pulled into the club car park we asked a Club steward and he assured us that the game would be on. Good news! Therefore, I jumped out the car and squeezed through the turnstile (safe to say they aren’t the biggest in the world, and at 6ft 2 I’m not the smallest) paying £3 along the way - £2 for admittance and a further £1 for a Programme. Now, clubs don’t have to produce a programme at pre-season but it is very good of them when they do. So, thank you Prestwich.

Prestwich Heys are an amateur, yet ambitious, football club based in the borough of Prestwich in Bury. Formed in the pre-war years of 1938, Heys moved into their current ground in 1991, following orders from Bury Council. This came after a period in the Clubs history known as the ‘Golden Years’. In this period of time, Heys won the South East Lancashire League three times, the Lancashire Amateur Cup in 1967 and all trophies available to them in the 1970–71 season when the Reds competed in the Lancashire Combination. In addition, this period saw the club have a fine run in the FA Amateur Cup, nationwide attention was attracted when Prestwich knocked out Sutton United, seven days before Sutton were due to play Leeds United.

Most recently the club applied to make the step up to semi-professional football – the NWCFL. However, their initial application was unsuccessful. Despite this, the club are still working hard to enable the ground to be applicable for Step 6 football having already erected a new stand, new changing rooms and have plans to erect floodlights and a new clubhouse. Personally, I wish them the best. It’ll be great to see them in the NWCFL.

As for the ground, well I was impressed. There are clear signs of hard work and improvement. The Adie Moran Park gets its name from ex Manager and Chairman Adie Moran who sadly died in June of 2007 whilst on holiday in Sri Lanka aged just 43.

The ground is pretty basic but nice at the same time. On all four sides of the ground you will find basic hard standing, like at any football ground. However, behind the goal that you will enter a new sheltered standing area can be found, a nice little addition to the ground. Left to this are all the clubs main facilities, the old changing room blocks, the new changing rooms, the clubhouse and for today, a Barbeque. Don’t mind if I do!

So, with my surroundings absorbed I walked over to the Clubhouse to take cover for it was still raining slightly. The Clubhouse was a nice little building, not much to it but another area that I
understand is being renovated. The last of the Challenge Cup semi-final between Hull KR and Warrington Wolves was on so I watched a bit of that for it was a very feisty game.

As kick off approached I felt a bit hungry so I decided to take advantage of the BBQ on offer. I bought a fantastic hot dog/sausage for £2.50 and it really was top quality. This more than filled me up ahead of what was to be an interesting pre-season friendly between two neighbours – Prestwich Heys and Radcliffe Borough, the first meeting between the two sides for 20 years.

As for the game, well it was a fine footballing display from Prestwich as they swept their higher opposition well aside.

Heys took the lead on 13 minutes after Radcliffe initially dominated the opening five minutes of the game. Max White fired the ball over Radcliffe’s Goalkeeper Cheetham after George Powell played the ball into the box. Simple yet easy-on-the-eye football from Prestwich.

Heys dominated play as they passed the ball across the fantastic surface at the Aide Moran Park with ease and confidence. They doubled their advantage on 20 minutes – Max White curled his corner into the packed box for Jamie Baguley to rise highest and head into the bottom corner of the net.

Deservedly, Prestwich were three goals to the good just six minutes later. Lee Bruce tapped into the goal after George Powell advanced into the box and passed the ball along to Bruce. A nice move from the men in Red and White.

I was impressed by Prestwich, they found the game easy to play in and looked confident against a side two divisions higher than them. I was equally bemused by Radcliffe who should’ve competed more in this half, considering the fact they are currently two leagues higher than Prestwich.

Half Time – Prestwich Heys 3-0 Radcliffe Borough

Radcliffe were much better second half, they competed in the game more in an attempt to put a smile on the concerned supporters’ faces.

Radcliffe pulled a goal back on 70 minutes, Jamie Forbes slotted home with ease after the ball was zipped across the box to him.

The rest of the half was a midfield battle between the two sides as they cancelled each other out for the remainder of the game. However, Radcliffe did miss a further two chances in an attempt to reduce the arrears.

Full Time – Prestwich Heys 3-1 Radcliffe Borough

So that was that, a very good win and performance from the Manchester League side, things look good for them, and I wish them luck come the start of the competitive season. A disappointing game from a Radcliffe point of view who, I’m sure would just like to put the score behind them and move on.

After the game I met my Grandad in the Car Park. An easy, care-free journey was had and I was home for 6:00pm. I would’ve been home earlier if my Grandad hadn’t opted to stay a little while to catch up with an old friend of his – of course, I didn’t mind though.

It had been a fine day out at Prestwich, a nice little club can be found down there and if you haven’t already, I encourage you to visit whenever the opportunity is presented. Thank you to Heys for their Hospitality.

Saturday 1st August – Prestwich Heys 3-1 Radcliffe Borough – Pre-season Friendly - Game #7 - Ground #56



























No comments

Powered by Blogger.