Ashton Town - The AM Property Group Stadium

So far, the NWCFL fixtures list has been very kind to me; offering games at un-ticked grounds on available dates. On Tuesday 14th August the fixtures list offered me a game at a ground that I have wanted to do since I started this whole Ground Hopping thing – Ashton Town v Holker Old Boys.

The 14th also offered me the chance to go and tick West Didsbury & Chorlton in their game against Winsford United but I decided against that fixture when I realised they were playing Runcorn Town the Tuesday after, providing me with an opportunity to tick it then.

My regular guest on this Blog and good friend Rob Clarke also still had the AM Property Group Stadium to tick so when informed of the fixture he decided to join me in ticking another game off.

On the day of the game I awoke to my alarm at around 8:00am… for work. For those of you that don’t know I now do a bit of gardening (don’t laugh) part time with an old friend of mine. It might not sound like the most appealing job to do but hey it pays for the football, what more do you want?

After cleaning out a pond for the best of at least three hours I got dropped home, had a bath and prepared for my evening of football. With me having to leave the house at around 5:00pm I had an early tea of sausage and mash – it was lovely as always, it’s just one of those meals you can never ever go wrong with.

Anyway, with my bag packed and my phone and camera charged I set off to make the 5:28pm Northern Rail train into Bolton. Once at the station I noticed the ticket office was closed and that the train, of course, was delayed. TO be honest, it was silly of me to think otherwise. So I just stood around on the station waiting for my train to arrive. When it did eventually arrive and I was sat down it dawned on me that tonight’s football offering would be my fourth game in four days (Cammle Laird 1907 v Atherton Collieries on Sat 2nd – Bolton Wanderers v Viteese on Sun 3rd – Atherton Collieries v Wigan Robin Park on Mon 5th and tonight’s game Ashton Town v Holker Old Boys) a fine achievement indeed for a Ground Hopper and a first indeed for myself.

Seven minutes after getting on the train pulled in at Bolton, the first stop for me that evening. I made my way from Platform one to platform four wrongly expecting my next service, which took me to Wigan, to be running on time. However, of course, this is Northern Rail; the train was running ten minutes late. Thankfully, I had a long(ish) wait for my final connection from Wigan so it’s not like I had to peg it to my next train. When the packed Northern Rail train eventually rocked up I jumped on and soon arrived at Wigan Wallgate.

Here’s a fun fact for you, never in my life have I ever been to Wigan Town Centre. Why? I don’t know, but a Tuesday night on my way to watch Ashton Town play football will be remembered as the first time I had ever been to visit Wigan. What a lovely little centre it is too. As soon as you walk up from the Train Station the centre opens up in front of you. Unfortunately with it being past 5:00pm almost everything was closed. I had quite a bit of time to burn as Rob had just rang me informing me that he missed his original train which meant we were going to miss our original train to Ashton Town – luckily there was one fifteen minutes later at 19:03pm – we were going to get that one.

Anyway, I had noticed someone walk past me with a McDonald’s bag so with a bit of time to burn I nipped in for a snack. Interestingly, this McDonald’s in question was playing classical music, a strange choice indeed – maybe the people of Wigan secretly hide a joy for classical music, who knows? I ordered a McFlury for 99p – BARGAIN!

The McFlury was soon eaten as I made my way to the other train station in Wigan, Wigan North Western. I made my way to Platform Four to meet Rob and when arrived we made our way to Platform 1 to hope on to my final service there to Bryn.

Thanks to the late running of Northern Rail we arrived in Bryn with only 30 minutes to go until kick off. From the train station the ground was around a, yes you’ve guessed, a 30 minute walk away. We didn’t have a lot of time. However, after a quick Brainstorm on how to get their faster we decided our journey shall be fast walked. Boy, did we walk fast, you might not have noticed but I am not exactly the peak of physical fitness so I and walking at a fast speed don’t really go together very well at all.

After practically sprinting through the town of Ashton-in-Makerfield (there’s too many Ashton’s in the North West if you ask me) we arrived at the lovely little side road that takes you to the ground.

Looking at the entrance of the Ground it reminds me of the entrance to Mossley’s ground, Seel Park, but without the scenic views and terrible 3G connection. So maybe, just maybe, The AM Property Group Stadium is Seel Park’s little brother – the possibilities are endless.

Squeezing through the turnstile I handed over my entry fee of £2.00 (as a student – yes, I’m one of them now) and a further £1.00 for a programme entitles Talk of the Town. The programme was alright, definitely presentable but it just lacked readable content it was only 12 pages thick, which was a shame because I felt it was designed really well. It was worth the purchase.

It’s come to that time of the Blog again, who are Ashton Town?

Well, founded in 1953 under the name Makerfield Mill they initially played in the Wigan Sunday School League before they made the move over to the St. Helens Combination. In 1962 the current name Ashton Town was adopted after Makerfield Mill were kick out of their ground and forced to play their matches at Whithill Street Recreation Ground in Bryn. In 1973 Town became a founder member of the NWCFL, the league they still play in to this day. In 1987 Division Three of the NWCFL was merged into Division Two – Ashton Town were placed in this league and have remained there ever since.

As for the ground, well, I like it, it’s small but does the job – it certainly has a lot of character about it. Not sure about the name, The AM Property Group Stadium is a bit of a mouthful but I’m sure people can get used to that.

As you walk through the turnstiles you are located behind on of the goals behind this and the goal opposite is just simple hard standing with a little bit of grass behind it. The Clubhouse is also located next to the Turnstiles.

To your left you’ll find the two stands of the ground. The first one a little but deep stand that only runs around 1/6 of the ground (if that), this stand looks to be one of the oldest in the ground and also looks like it had never been used. However, that for me adds to the quirkiness of the ground. Next to this little yet deep stand you’ll find a long but shallow stand, this has around three rows of the most obscure seating (the same seating as in the other stand). I’m not going to bother to describe the seating; I’ll stick a photo on – look out for it!

To your right you’ll find the dugouts and changing rooms, this area is again just hard standing, but does offer good views of the pitch.

I must say that everyone involved at the club were very friendly, every person donning an Ashton Town jacket asked us how we were and thanking us for coming down. We appreciated this and it made us both feel very welcome. It’s little things like that what makes a Non-League Club different from the rest, it also what makes Non-League better than the Football League for me.

After a lap of the ground I and Rob sat down in the deeper stand to watch the first half unfold in front of us.

It has to be said, the pitch at Ashton Town was in fine condition, well done to them for keeping it in good shape over the summer break, whatever they did, and it’s paid off.

Anyway, Holker Old Boys were the first to have a shot on goal, Liam Shields firing a low, hard free-kick which was well saved by Town goalkeeper Joe Clements.

On the 36th minute Ashton Town scored the first goal of the evening in the form of midfielder Sean Robinson. Sam Wilkie turned sharply in the Holker end of the pitch and was fouled just outside the box. The following free-kick was floated in by Neil Weaver whose free kick was headed home by Sean Robinson.

Exactly one minute later Town had a chance to make it 2-0. Wilkie causing the problems, feeding Ste Bowen whose shot was well wide of the goal.

Half Time – Ashton Town AFC 1-0 Holker Old Boys

For the first time, at half time we went into the clubhouse. As soon as I walked in I liked it, there was a little (and I mean little) stage with loads of little rounded tables with chairs around them. I could just picture some dodgy comedian performing on stage, don’t ask me why. As I moved further into the clubhouse I discovered a rare thing in Non-League football, in fact a rare thing in football generally, a pool table! Once Rob had finished his half time snack of a hot dog I invited him to a game of pool, of course, he accepted.

The game of pool was largely dominated by myself but in the end the improving Rob won what was the tightest yet most entertaining game of pool I have ever played and Town didn’t even charge for it, a free game of pool, thanks guys. Rob won it thanks to a typical and disappointing error by myself. I potted the black.

Keen to move on from my Pool error we made our way in between the two dugouts to watch what was to be an entertaining second half.

Sam Wilkie, who was clearly proving to be a problem for the Old Boys this evening doubled the Town lead with an impressive half-volley off his left foot, a fine finish indeed.

Minutes later Old Boys could have pulled one back. Winger Gareth Smith’s fierce shot was well saved by Clements.

Sixty five minutes in the Old Boys did pull one back. A ball from the Holker left side fell to the feet of Nathan Reid who delicately placed the ball into the net.

Soon, the scores were level. HOB’s Daniel Pattinson had space in the penalty area to shoot. His shot headed for the far corner despite the best efforts of Clements.

Just four minutes were left on the clock when Town’s Neil Weaver weaving his way into the HOB box, with time and space he shoots and scores, another fine goal to take Ashton into the led. Weaver scored again just a few minutes later, Weaver received a pass from Thomas Jump, controlled, shoots, scores. Job done.

Full Time – Ashton Town 4-2 Holker Old Boys

A fine game of football, Ashton Town proved they have that extra edge going on to win the game despite the best efforts of Holker Old Boys who were unlucky not to travel back up North with at least a point.

After the full time whistle Rob and I decided to head straight back to the train station so we didn’t have to rush there. I stopped off for a trip to the toilet before we made our way back to Bryn train station.

It was a nice relaxed stroll back. Rob was getting the nights other scores and he was more than happy when heard that Stockport Sports had beaten Abbey Hey 3-2, for those of you that don’t know Rob is the programme editor/fan down at the Stockport Sports Village.

Surprisingly, I found a Morrisions right next to Bryn train station, how we had missed that earlier I will never know but nevertheless I took advantage of Morrisons massive price reductions and picked up a pack of five cookies for a £1 – BARGAIN ALERT!

Once back at the station our train rocked up on time, surprisingly, and before we knew it we were rolling into Wigan North Western. As Rob’s train to Warrington was earlier than mine I waited around with him before he caught his Virgin service straight there. I made my way across the road to Wigan Wallgate to catch my Northern Rail service to Bolton.

After a bit of Platform confusion in Bolton, the driver of another train insisted the train was coming in on a different platform than what the sign said – in the end he was right, I was on my way back to Bromley Cross. My final destination.

Overall, I really enjoyed my visit to the AM Property Group Stadium and would recommend to any Ground Hopper or football fan to visit. Not just because the stadium looks nice but because the people at the club really appreciate your visit. They make you feel welcome and appreciate the fact you have come down. Plus, if the game is poor you can have a game of pool, how cool is that? So, if you ever get the chance to visit. I recommend – DO IT!

Tuesday 5th August  – Ashton Town 4-2 Holker Old Boys – NWCFL Division One – The AM Property Group Stadium – Game #12 – Ground #39

Ground: - 8/10 – Nice ground – recommend to tick.
Programme: - 5/10 – Nice design, lacked content.
Food: - N/A
Match: - 10/10  Good game
Miles Travelled TO Ground: - 19miles


Money Spent: - £10.00



































No comments

Powered by Blogger.