West Didsbury & Chorlton - Brookburn Road

As of 9:30pm on Monday 11th September I had visited/ticked off four new grounds and have watched fourteen games of football. On Tuesday 12th September I added to that list, visiting Brookburn Road watching West Didsbury & Chorlton (who from now I will refer as WD&C) in their home game against Runcorn Town. Taking my tally up to five grounds visited and fifteen games of football watched. Good going, so far.

Unlike most new grounds that I visit, I have been delaying a visit to WD&C as much as possible simply because they are always adding little bits to their ground. Which isn’t a bad thing, it’s just I would rather visit when Brrokburn Road was the finished article. For now, I understand, it is the finished article. So, time to visit!

The night before the game I was at Daisy Hill v Atherton Laburnum Rovers, making my third visit to New Sirs to watch them play in what was a nameless local derby. The score line ended in Daisy Hill being 4-0 winners, a fine result indeed, much to everyone’s surprise. Daisy Hill played well, controlling the game from the start, the score line could have been double what it was if they converted their chances into goals. Anyway, this game provided the perfect warm up for Tuesday night’s tick.

Normally, on a Tuesday I do some gardening for a neighbour of mine, to earn a bit of money to cover my football travels for this season. However, the weather on Monday night and on Tuesday morning was terrible. Heavy rain was forecasted and heavy rain was delivered, I feared that if the weather continued to behave in that fashion the game, potentially, could be called off. My gardening work had been called off; this meant I had a relaxed day of doing nothing before the football.

Thankfully, it did calm sown, slightly, before eventually stopping at around 2:00pm which left me in no doubt that the game would be going ahead and that I would be getting my Tuesday night football fix.

In the end, I was relieved to get out of the house when I set off to get the 16:09 train from Bromley Cross to Manchester Victoria. I had literally done nothing but twiddle my thumbs all day. Safe to say that I was ready to get out and watch some football.

Once arrived in Manchester I noticed something very peculiar about this wonderful City. It was unbelievably busy. Manchester yes, is a City and yes it is a busy one but nothing compared to how busy it was on that Tuesday night. It was when I met up with fellow ground hopper Rob outside the ‘M Local’ (a Morrisons to you and me) that I realised Manchester United had a home friendly that night. Of course, this was the reason. That then led to the realisation that all the United fans in the City centre would be getting to Old Trafford via the tram service, unfortunately, this was the same mode of transport I and Rob were going to use.

Personally, I love the Metrolink service Manchester provides. They more or less run on time and provide a regular service to the deepest and darkest parts of Manchester. Although tickets are a little pricey I feel it is one of the best city/town centre Public Transport modes outside of London. Oh dear, I appear to be a Metrolink fan boy.

Anyway, once we purchased our tickets on the ridiculously complicated ticket machine we jumped on the next tram that came along and was heading towards Chorlton. We were only on the tram for around twenty minutes and soon arrived in Chorlton at around 5:30pm.

The week before the game, for one reason or another, I was on a Bus into Bolton. On the back of my bus ticket I found some McDonalds vouchers, a pleasant surprise indeed. The vouchers gifted me with a reduced McDonald’s or something like that. A quick Google map search revealed that there was a McDonalds only a fifteen minute walk away, suggesting to Rob we go there for some tea, I was finally about to use the vouchers up.

Unlike my short stop in the McDonalds in Wigan town centre last week this McDonalds was not playing classical music. I didn’t know whether to be relieved or disappointed. I made my way to the counter handed over the voucher and ordered my reduced McDonalds. I opted for a Big Mac (might as well), chips and an Oasis and walked away from the counter feeling like Brian off the Money Supermarket advert because I just saved my self £2.45. Get in!

With our McDonalds demolished I and Rob started our journey towards the ground. I don’t know why but for some reason that evening I lost the ability to read a map, this resulted in us walking in completely the wrong direction for around ten minutes. Luckily, we were still fairly early so this wasn’t a problem; we turned around and made our way towards Brookburn Road.

Once walking in the correct direction I was still a bit suspicious about the directions in which Google Maps was taking us, we were walking through lovely, scenic and green Victorian streets but apparently this was correct. It really was a lovely walk in a very nice area. Also we passed a Citroën 2CV; possibly the coolest car in the history of cars. If you don’t know what one of these cars are then a) be ashamed and b) I’ll attach a picture bellow, you’ll instantly recognise it.

After walking in what felt like circles we eventually reached a sign informing us we were near Brookburn Road. Finally! All we had to do is walk down what appeared to be a road taking you into the middle of a forest. The map said follow it and so did the sign. Reluctantly, I did. I felt as if I was in some sort of fairy-tale, however, instead of finding a wolf in my Grandmas clothes I found the entrance into Brookburn Road.

After shaking off the three little pigs and giving goldilocks a lecture about porridge we finally arrived at the entrance to WD&C. There we found match day secretary Rob McKay, we handed over our entry fee (£3.00 as a Student) and a further £2.00 for a programme. Normally, I really don’t like handing over £2.00 for a Programme at NWCFL however, this one was well worth it. Lot’s to read and very well designed, if you visit, I recommend you buy one!

So, who are West Didsbury & Chorlton?

Well, originally they were founded in 1908 under the name Christ Church FC in the town of West Didsbury by a local Sunday School Superintendent (yes, I also just thought of the Simpsons). In the 1920-21 season Christ Church changed their name to West Didsbury AFC joining the Lancashire and Cheshire league from the Manchester League. Several, and I mean several, promotions and relegations later in 2003 they changed their name again to its current form – West Didsbury & Chorlton. The name change came about to reflect a ground move to Chorlton. After entering the Manchester League in 2006, they were crowned champions in the 2010-11 season thus qualifying them to compete in the FA Vase the following season. However, West were knocked out in the second qualifying round against Ashville FC. In the 20012-13 season they joined the NWCFL, achieving promotion on the last day of the season thanks to a last minute goal – I was at Colls watching us play against Ashton Town when this happened, that promotion spot could have been ours when this happened, certainly a Non-League Aguerooooo moment.

As for Brookburn Road, well, it’s basic but it does the job and I actually quite like it.

As you walk through the entrance you’ll find yourself on the side of the car park, the cars park on the little bit of grass that comes after the road that runs along the pitch, this side offers hard standing, and hard standing only.

To your left is the clubhouse end, this side is home to all the clubs facilities, a club house with seats running in front of it, the changing rooms and a little but very modern and comfortable fifty seater stand located next to the left of the club house.

Opposite you is a side similar to the Car Park one, it’s just hard concreate standing with a grass embankment running behind it which offers good views of the action The dugouts can be found on this side.

Finally, to your right and behind the goal closest to you you’ll find a sheltered all standing stand, again a very modern stand which offers layered views of the pitch.

Like I said earlier, basic and modern but I like it.

After having a look in the club house (more on that at half time) and meeting up again with Rob and Stew (from Stew Non-League Review) it was time to make our way to the sheltered standing side and watch the first half unfold in front of us.

 It took just five minutes for the first goal of the game to be registered; WD&C’s Jamie Tandy scored his first goal as a WD&C player thanks to Lewis Schofield running down the left flank and cutting in, passing to Tandy who only had to tap home.

Runcorn Town were awarded a penalty on seventeen minutes after a foul from WD&C’s Ben Simpson. It was up to Andrew Potter to step up and score, score he did, sending the keeper the wrong way.

The rest of the half was played out pretty competitively with both sides having good chances on goal. Also, thanks to the pitch (which is in really good condition) at Brookburn Road both sides had the opportunity to play really attractive football, which was nice to see.

During half time I went into the clubhouse and bought a cup of tea in an attempt to warm up a bit for it had fell chilly during the first half. After finishing my tea and talking football with both Rob and Stew I made my way back outside for the second half. This time choosing to sit in the all seater stand next to the clubhouse.

WD&C were unlucky not to take the lead within the first few minutes of the second half, playing some good football and having the better of the chances but it was Runcorn who scored and as a result took the lead. With sixty five minutes on the clock Sean Breen fired a low angled shot into the back of the WD&C net.

The rest of the game was played it in midfield, with both teams being equal in possession.

With about five minutes till full time I and Rob took the decision to set off. The reason behind this was that in order for Rob to get his desired train home we had to get the tram that left at 21:37, it was a fifteen minute walk to Chorlton Metrolink station so we though setting off at 21:25 was wise.

For the first time in history, my Google Maps app failed me. The blue dot showing our location refused to move so I was working on guess work when it came to following the blue line which again was sending us in one big zig-zag. In the end, we ended up jogging. Just to let you all know me and jogging don’t go well together. Anyway, with sweat dripping down from my fore-head we just mad the tram, which was on time, as the doors were closing.

Thanks to the smoothness and punctuality of the tram, the journey back into Manchester was a relaxed one; it was mainly spent getting the scores from the other NWCFL games and the League Cup games. The news soon filtered through that Stockport Sports, in what surely will be one of the games of the season, had drawn against Congelton Town 5-5, what a game that must’ve been.

Rob didn’t have a lot of time so when we arrived back at the Market Street Metrolink stop he said goodbye and made his way towards Manchester Piccadilly. I on the other hand made my way to the little Morrsions in Piccadilly gardens to firstly see what reduced stuff I can buy, I do love a good bargain, and secondly burn a bit of time for I had a whole hour to wait for my train.

It was in Morrisons that I discovered that actually, if I stayed on my tram and got off at Shudehill, I could’ve made the earlier train, getting me home at 22:30 instead of 23:30. I was livid with myself, I couldn’t believe it. Luckily, I found five doughnuts for £0.75 which calmed me down as that is what I like to call a bargain.

After eating two of the doughnuts (I was hungry) I slowly made my way to Manchester Victoria train station. Thanks to my time wasting I only had to wait fifteen minutes in the cold, damp and dark Victoria station (which luckily is now finally being renovated) and the journey home was simple also, and before I knew it I was home at 23:45.

Overall, it had been a great night at West Didsbury & Chorlton. They are a very ambitious and friendly football club; every official thanked me for coming down and appreciated my support that evening which is always a good and rare thing I have come across on my travels. Ground wise, Brookburn Road is nice, it’s new and modern and a little simple but it does the job for WD&C and I actually quite like it, I strongly recommend that you visit, but prepare your Google Maps route beforehand!

Tuesday 12th August  – West Didsbury & Chorlton 1-2 Runcorn Town – NWCFL Premier Divison – Brookburn Road – Game #15 – Ground #40

Ground: - 8/10 – Nice ground – recommend to tick.
Programme: - 7/10 – Nice design, lots of readable content.
Food: - N/A
Match: - 7/10  Alright.
Miles Travelled TO Ground: - 19.7miles


Money Spent: - £16.94




































No comments

Powered by Blogger.